Stage Analysis Video Training Course

UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - Page 213

RE: UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion

(2021-01-06, 01:43 PM)XTR Wrote: I typically screen for momentum and a few fundamentals, examples below (X, Y & Z are variables):

Volume X Days/Volume Y Days > Z%
Avg Volume > X% Shares Outstanding
Absolute Price Change X Days > Y%
Price vs Moving Average X Days > Y%
Relative Strength X Sector > Y%
Bid Ask Spread < X BPS
Price/Pre-Tax Earnings <20
Net Debt < Operating Profit times X

Don't spend too much time on this, any help gratefully received.

Also, does anyone here use this screener? https://screener.nextbigtrade.com/#/sectors/FTSE If so, do we know what filters are used to create it and how reliable it is?

Ian
Just a quick couple if you are interested in these i will explain how to do them if not clear.

Can you explain the X, Y Z parts a bit more not sure what you mean for these? a notional value? if so these can be done and then a filter set to the value.

Attached Files
.pdf   Price div pre tax.pdf (Size: 28.67 KB / Downloads: 235)
.pdf   Volume.pdf (Size: 19.42 KB / Downloads: 259)

(2021-01-06, 08:25 PM)gjjh25 Wrote:
(2021-01-06, 01:43 PM)XTR Wrote: I typically screen for momentum and a few fundamentals, examples below (X, Y & Z are variables):

Volume X Days/Volume Y Days > Z%
Avg Volume > X% Shares Outstanding
Absolute Price Change X Days > Y%
Price vs Moving Average X Days > Y%
Relative Strength X Sector > Y%
Bid Ask Spread < X BPS
Price/Pre-Tax Earnings <20
Net Debt < Operating Profit times X

Don't spend too much time on this, any help gratefully received.

Also, does anyone here use this screener? https://screener.nextbigtrade.com/#/sectors/FTSE If so, do we know what filters are used to create it and how reliable it is?

Ian
Just a quick couple if you are interested in these i will explain how to do them if not clear.

Can you explain the X, Y Z parts a bit more not sure what you mean for these? a notional value? if so these can be done and then a filter set to the value.
I'm grateful to you for the attached screens, I've replicated these on my SP and am getting the hang on it.

The X, Y , Z are variables which I'm hoping can be configured. For instance if I want to see the 5 day volume to be 150% of the 50 day volume I'd substitute the variables for these values.

Example:

Volume X Days/Volume Y Days > Z%  would then look like  Volume Days/Volume 50 Days > 150%

I suppose it's all about how many metrics can be combined into a single filter.

(2021-01-08, 04:21 PM)XTR Wrote: I'm grateful to you for the attached screens, I've replicated these on my SP and am getting the hang on it.

The X, Y , Z are variables which I'm hoping can be configured. For instance if I want to see the 5 day volume to be 150% of the 50 day volume I'd substitute the variables for these values.

Example:

Volume X Days/Volume Y Days > Z%  would then look like  Volume Days/Volume 50 Days > 150%

If you have something like Doncian channels or other forms of channels then if you can screen for stocks that are above the previous maximum value of say a 100 day channel, helps detect breakouts.  Some experimentation dependent on what you have available is useful.

(2021-01-08, 06:24 PM)pcabc Wrote:
(2021-01-08, 04:21 PM)XTR Wrote: I'm grateful to you for the attached screens, I've replicated these on my SP and am getting the hang on it.

Example:

If you have something like Doncian channels or other forms of channels then if you can screen for stocks that are above the previous maximum value of say a 100 day channel, helps detect breakouts.  Some experimentation dependent on what you have available is useful.

For this you would do the volume as a combined then. Then you can adjust the filter it results with for the 150%

(2021-01-10, 01:15 PM)gjjh25 Wrote:
(2021-01-08, 06:24 PM)pcabc Wrote:

Example:

For this you would do the volume as a combined then. Then you can adjust the filter it results with for the 150%
That would be one way to do it.  In my filters I add points for each parameter that matches and then sort for stocks with the highest score.  I've found however, that no filter is perfect so perhaps running several, or running filters on strong sectors can help.  There will always be good charts that get missed or a lower score as the parameters are good but slightly off from the filter parameters and plenty of noisy charts that just happen to get through even if they are not so good.  At least, that is my experience.

SLP.L:
THe volume does not exactly show up on my indicators, but it does look like there was a build up and its up a bit on thie continuation.

(2021-02-25, 11:09 PM)pcabc Wrote: SLP.L:
THe volume does not exactly show up on my indicators, but it does look like there was a build up and its up a bit on thie continuation.

Ah yes, I've had them in my portfolio for a while; I like the name as well, so that helps. Smile

(2021-02-25, 11:33 PM)Sartois Wrote:
(2021-02-25, 11:09 PM)pcabc Wrote: SLP.L:

Ah yes, I've had them in my portfolio for a while; I like the name as well, so that helps. Smile

I'm quite tempted, but my breadth indicator for platinum miners is not in a buy.  Of couse, if this is a leading stock it will be too late if I wait for that to catch up.  But I think that a large part of my more recent success is my breadth indicator, so I'm better missing a trade than going against it.