Stage Analysis Video Training Course

UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - Page 211

RE: UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion

(2020-12-15, 06:45 PM)XTR Wrote:
(2020-12-15, 01:33 AM)pcabc Wrote: Be warned, I've probably spent 100's of hours doing it.  But then it is interesting to me.  From the time spent I would probably have made more money getting a paper round...

I use eodhistoricaldata.com for end of day data.  But I calculate the breadth myself.  The challenge will be seeing if you can find a data source for the UK breadth data, even better if it is in a charting package.  Realistically if you are not into coding don't even think about going down the route I went down.
I take your point about getting into chart development and while it would be interesting I really don't have the time. 

Thanks for the data link, have you tried http://www.eoddata.com/products/historicaldata.aspx? May I ask what charting software you're using?

Ian

I've not tried it.  I was using Yahoo and then Google data until they stopped providing it, then I switched to eodhistoricaldata.com.

The software I am using is a database with a web front end I have written in PHP.  The charts are produced in SVG.  Really I've done  this way out of interest.  It started as a simple database to track what positions I had open.  Then I tracked the price, then once I had price simple charts made sense.  Really it is a monster that has grown out of something simple.  Probably not the best coded thing but it does some useful stuff for me.

(2020-12-15, 07:04 PM)XTR Wrote: Market breadth can get complex and there are 500+ page books on the subject. SW's 'Weight of the Evidence' approach used over 50 indicators, but as you say, UK indices are thinner than US markets, however, that is where the UK stocks are traded and there is still value in plotting basic information like: highs/lows, advancers/decliners, % above/below MA etc. to get a feel for market internals, especially as this information is readily available and in may cases free. 

I'd like to have a go at maintaining my own index charts for say FTSE 100, 250, 350, AIM markets and as long as it doesn't turn into too much of a chore, would be a good accompaniment to SharePad.

If you could plot the relative strength of UK sector / industry charts against each other that could be quite informative but not rely on market breadth data.  Also, a good bit of advice I got from Isatrader was not to buy when market breadth was strongest, but when it was strengthening.  Buying only when it was stongest mean that I bought mainly at tops, a lot of my positions failed.

(2020-12-15, 07:54 PM)gjjh25 Wrote:
(2020-12-15, 07:04 PM)XTR Wrote:
(2020-12-15, 05:39 PM)gjjh25 Wrote:
(2020-12-15, 12:38 AM)XTR Wrote:
(2020-12-14, 09:09 PM)gjjh25 Wrote: I use sharepad at the moment, and would be interested in trying to sort a market breadth indicator out with anyone interested.  Or at least sector strength.

This is the package I'm considering as I'm told it can chart UK Sectors. I assume from your question that market breadth indicators are not included in SharePad's default library, do you know if it's possible to configure new indicators? 

Other systems I've seen are ShareScope and Updata, both look very comprehensive but are more than I want to spend. Another reason to stay with browser based systems is that I use Linux machines and installation software usually requires Windows or Mac environments.

I like the idea of developing my own charts like pcabc does, but I'd still need to source the feeds and I'm not sure I could commit the time and dedication to make it worthwhile.

You can do simple formulas to compare two items in sharepad, but it is not programmable as such.  Isnt there also a problem with a Uk Market sector breadth as they do not contain as many shares as the US version?

Market breadth can get complex and there are 500+ page books on the subject. SW's 'Weight of the Evidence' approach used over 50 indicators, but as you say, UK indices are thinner than US markets, however, that is where the UK stocks are traded and there is still value in plotting basic information like: highs/lows, advancers/decliners, % above/below MA etc. to get a feel for market internals, especially as this information is readily available and in may cases free. 

I'd like to have a go at maintaining my own index charts for say FTSE 100, 250, 350, AIM markets and as long as it doesn't turn into too much of a chore, would be a good accompaniment to SharePad.
Any questions on Sharepad let me know and I will try not help. I have filters set up for above MA's, %change since 52 week low & high, and strength relative to indices. %

Thanks for the offer gjjh25, I'll take you up on that when I start using SharePad although it'll probably be after Christmas now.

(2020-12-15, 09:03 PM)pcabc Wrote:
(2020-12-15, 05:39 PM)gjjh25 Wrote:
(2020-12-15, 12:38 AM)XTR Wrote:
(2020-12-14, 09:09 PM)gjjh25 Wrote: I use sharepad at the moment, and would be interested in trying to sort a market breadth indicator out with anyone interested.  Or at least sector strength.

This is the package I'm considering as I'm told it can chart UK Sectors. I assume from your question that market breadth indicators are not included in SharePad's default library, do you know if it's possible to configure new indicators? 

Other systems I've seen are ShareScope and Updata, both look very comprehensive but are more than I want to spend. Another reason to stay with browser based systems is that I use Linux machines and installation software usually requires Windows or Mac environments.

I like the idea of developing my own charts like pcabc does, but I'd still need to source the feeds and I'm not sure I could commit the time and dedication to make it worthwhile.

You can do simple formulas to compare two items in sharepad, but it is not programmable as such.  Isnt there also a problem with a Uk Market sector breadth as they do not contain as many shares as the US version?

There are a couple of problems I find with the UK and yes, this is one of them.  I have a number of the NMX industry / sector indicies (I get the two terms confused, but I don't need to use them often).  Some are much bigger than others.  When I last looked 'Forestry and Paper' comprised of two stocks only.  Others are much larger.   There are more industries / sectors for fewer stocks.  Also, I have manged to find a source for mapping UK stock symbols to industry and sector, but these do not align with the NMX indicies that I have access to.  There does not seem to be an easy way to do things nicely, at least with what data I have at present.

I've not used sharepad so cannot comment.

Totally agree, the NMX sectors are unhelpful for our purposes (Sector analysis) for the reasons stated above. I like the Refinitiv Sectors (Previously Thomson Reuters) for UK markets as there are only ten of them so they don't fragment the market too much. Here's a link to them https://markets.ft.com/data/sectors.

I occasionally like to trade NMX sectors when there are several companies all doing well in a specific industry, for example if home builders are trending up I may buy NMX3720, like an ETF/collective investment.

(2020-12-15, 09:08 PM)pcabc Wrote:
(2020-12-15, 06:45 PM)XTR Wrote:
(2020-12-15, 01:33 AM)pcabc Wrote: Be warned, I've probably spent 100's of hours doing it.  But then it is interesting to me.  From the time spent I would probably have made more money getting a paper round...

I use eodhistoricaldata.com for end of day data.  But I calculate the breadth myself.  The challenge will be seeing if you can find a data source for the UK breadth data, even better if it is in a charting package.  Realistically if you are not into coding don't even think about going down the route I went down.
I take your point about getting into chart development and while it would be interesting I really don't have the time. 

Thanks for the data link, have you tried http://www.eoddata.com/products/historicaldata.aspx? May I ask what charting software you're using?

Ian

I've not tried it.  I was using Yahoo and then Google data until they stopped providing it, then I switched to eodhistoricaldata.com.

The software I am using is a database with a web front end I have written in PHP.  The charts are produced in SVG.  Really I've done  this way out of interest.  It started as a simple database to track what positions I had open.  Then I tracked the price, then once I had price simple charts made sense.  Really it is a monster that has grown out of something simple.  Probably not the best coded thing but it does some useful stuff for me.

I wish I had your coding skills pcabc so I could do something similar but I don't have any knowledge of PHP and would need something easier to learn. It may take up a lot of your time but the ability to create exactly what you want must be very rewarding. I'd rather have the half a dozen or so indicators that I really need than snazzy graphics or a slick UI.

(This post was last modified: 2020-12-17, 12:23 AM by pcabc.)

(2020-12-15, 11:36 PM)XTR Wrote: I wish I had your coding skills pcabc so I could do something similar but I don't have any knowledge of PHP and would need something easier to learn. It may take up a lot of your time but the ability to create exactly what you want must be very rewarding. I'd rather have the half a dozen or so indicators that I really need than snazzy graphics or a slick UI.

Thanks, appreciated.  I'd suggest you look around for charting packages and data sources.  By packages I of course include charting sites. I'd suggest that you don't discount the US as over the last 5 years it has been very strong compared to the UK.  But you need to be very wary of foreign exchange costs and order types (at least for your trading account) as they have bit me hard.  I'd suggest looking at the thread https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Thre...-Indicator, This gives examples of how to calculate the Mansfield relative strength.

Finding a charting package with breadth will be the challenge. US data is obtainable in some, but I'm not an expert there. Non US data will be a challenge I suspect.

(2020-12-17, 12:23 AM)pcabc Wrote: Thanks, appreciated.  I'd suggest you look around for charting packages and data sources.  By packages I of course include charting sites.  I'd suggest that you don't discount the US as over the last 5 years it has been very strong compared to the UK.  But you need to be very wary of foreign exchange costs and order types (at least for your trading account) as they have bit me hard.  I'd suggest looking at the thread https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Thre...-Indicator,  This gives examples of how to calculate the Mansfield relative strength.  

Also worth a look:
https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Thre...k-Scanners

(2020-12-17, 12:23 AM)pcabc Wrote:
(2020-12-15, 11:36 PM)XTR Wrote: I wish I had your coding skills pcabc so I could do something similar but I don't have any knowledge of PHP and would need something easier to learn. It may take up a lot of your time but the ability to create exactly what you want must be very rewarding. I'd rather have the half a dozen or so indicators that I really need than snazzy graphics or a slick UI.

Thanks, appreciated.  I'd suggest you look around for charting packages and data sources.  By packages I of course include charting sites.  I'd suggest that you don't discount the US as over the last 5 years it has been very strong compared to the UK.  But you need to be very wary of foreign exchange costs and order types (at least for your trading account) as they have bit me hard.  I'd suggest looking at the thread https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Thre...-Indicator,  This gives examples of how to calculate the Mansfield relative strength.  

Finding a charting package with breadth will be the challenge.  US data is obtainable in some, but I'm not an expert there.  Non US data will be a challenge I suspect.

Regarding US stocks, what's your preferred method? I'm thinking spread bets are probably easiest?