Stage Analysis Video Training Course

Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis and Market Breadth - Technical Analysis - Page 206

RE: Market Breadth Extra

(2015-07-07, 07:50 AM)pcabc Wrote: Looking at the advance decline line I've plotted it appears that a long trendline has been violated. I wonder if others can corroborate as I've not carried out any testing of these charts?

I prefer moving averages to trendlines personally. So attached is a weekly chart of the NYSE Advance Decline Chart with a one year moving average (52 week) instead of the trendline.

isatrader

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill - Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.
(This post was last modified: 2015-07-07, 11:08 PM by pcabc.)

(2015-07-07, 08:04 AM)isatrader Wrote: I prefer moving averages to trendlines personally. So attached is a weekly chart of the NYSE Advance Decline Chart with a one year moving average (52 week) instead of the trendline.

Thanks. Some trend-lines can be a bit arbitrary so I can see your point. However, the choice of MA period could also be argued to be arbitrary... Anyway, thanks, interesting comparison.

(This post was last modified: 2015-07-19, 06:57 PM by pcabc.)

A few charts. Not thoroughly tested so look at them with caution. I wonder if anyone has any views. I suspect we might be climbing out of a largish pullback / week period but market breadth is not my forte.

Dow Jones Industrials versus NTSE breadth. The one from the book. Advance / decline just below its SMA50 but above SMA200 & SMA260. Momentum seems to be dropping but is above the zero line. New highs - new lows seems to be capped by a trendline but that line might be tenuous? Cummulative new highs - new lows is on its 100 day moving average.

NASDAQ composite / NASDAQ breadth. Apparenly advance / deline lines tend to fall on this exchange owing to companies going out of business. Advance / decline falling slightly. Momentum appears to be increasing above zero very slowly. Cumulative new-highs minus new-lows is above its SMA100.

AMEX has looked bearish for quite a while. Not sure of the utility of the plot.

For the FTSE I have calculated the advances / declines and new highs and new lows myself. Not sure of the accuracy of the data. The FTSE100 looks like it has failed stage 2. However, the advance decline still looks bullish, no divergence. Momentum well above zero. New highs - new lows looks posative and is above zero. Cummulative version of new highs - new lows is above its SMA100. I wonder how accurate the new high and low data is, it looks strongly over the new high side even though the index seems to not have a strong upward direction.

(2015-07-19, 06:57 PM)pcabc Wrote: A few charts. Not thoroughly tested so look at them with caution. I wonder if anyone has any views. ....

Thanks PCABC, I appreciate the charts.

I don't know if anyone is interested but I have been following a financial counselor from Atlanta, Ga. Chris Ciovacco. Every weekend Chris Ciovacco puts out a you tube video about the markets "weight of the evidence".

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_ywfvI...uZt33y7QYQ

I find it an interesting.

(2015-07-20, 02:55 AM)JimStudent Wrote:
(2015-07-19, 06:57 PM)pcabc Wrote: A few charts. Not thoroughly tested so look at them with caution. I wonder if anyone has any views. ....

Thanks PCABC, I appreciate the charts.

I don't know if anyone is interested but I have been following a financial counselor from Atlanta, Ga. Chris Ciovacco. Every weekend Chris Ciovacco puts out a you tube video about the markets "weight of the evidence".

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_ywfvI...uZt33y7QYQ

I find it an interesting.

Thanks for that Jim. I'm trying to get more into market breadth and he does put the topic into perspective really well. Unlike US unfortunately there is no FTSE symbols for advancing/declining etc which is a real shame!

(This post was last modified: 2015-07-20, 07:28 PM by pcabc.)

(2015-07-20, 07:59 AM)malaguti Wrote: Thanks for that Jim. I'm trying to get more into market breadth and he does put the topic into perspective really well. Unlike US unfortunately there is no FTSE symbols for advancing/declining etc which is a real shame!

Are there symbols for that info from any particular source such as Yahoo or Google?

I ended up pulling the data for the whole FTSE350 into a database and calculating advances and declining issues and new highs and lows myself. Since it is not my day job I've not tested it to any degree.

I found I've had to make my own plots to get a foothold on understanding what is going on.

(2015-07-20, 07:26 PM)pcabc Wrote:
(2015-07-20, 07:59 AM)malaguti Wrote: Thanks for that Jim. I'm trying to get more into market breadth and he does put the topic into perspective really well. Unlike US unfortunately there is no FTSE symbols for advancing/declining etc which is a real shame!

Are there symbols for that info from any particular source such as Yahoo or Google?

I ended up pulling the data for the whole FTSE350 into a database and calculating advances and declining issues and new highs and lows myself. Since it is not my day job I've not tested it to any degree.

I found I've had to make my own plots to get a foothold on understanding what is going on.

there are symbols but only for the US. I've checked for other markets and can find nothing unfortunately, I'm probably going to have to do the same as you and automate it somehow. It shouldn't be impossible, just very annoying

(This post was last modified: 2015-07-20, 09:18 PM by pcabc.)

(2015-07-20, 09:09 PM)malaguti Wrote: there are symbols but only for the US. I've checked for other markets and can find nothing unfortunately, I'm probably going to have to do the same as you and automate it somehow. It shouldn't be impossible, just very annoying

Only seen them on stockcharts.com or wherever, or daily only on Yahoo, not downloadable historic data. I've been looking at data from http://unicorn.us.com/advdec/ for US data. I've built my own database based screener so was already fetching data, so it was only an add-on to calculate FTSE350 but it still hoovered up hours of time.