Stage Analysis Video Training Course

US Stocks Breakouts & Breakdowns - SP500, NYSE, & Nasdaq Stock Charts - Page 18

RE: Watchlist - Investor method

(2013-05-21, 11:31 PM)isatrader Wrote: Two UK stocks for my watchlist tonight. Vodafone Group (VOD.L) and Johnson Matthey (JMAT.L). Vodafone is trading above it's 2007 high currently and Johnson Matthey is breaking out to all time highs after a year or so in a Stage 3. So both could be worth some further study.

Regarding JMAT.L - wonder if it is worth waiting for pullback of breakout or putting half on now and half on if it pulls back. I know these different approaches are discussed by Weinstein (invest vs trading approach)

(2013-05-22, 09:00 AM)bluemosaic Wrote: Regarding JMAT.L - wonder if it is worth waiting for pullback of breakout or putting half on now and half on if it pulls back. I know these different approaches are discussed by Weinstein (invest vs trading approach)

On the Stage 2 continuation breakouts like this, the trader method is to put 100% position size on the breakout. However, as that was missed in the last few weeks the strategy now would be to look for a pullback to support to get in, which would be around the 2500-2600 zone imo, as you shouldn't chase.

isatrader

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill - Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.

Just a follow-up to my Oct 2012 post on the continuation breakdown of FirstGroup FGP.L below 190/185p support (breakdown from stage 3 was earlier at around 300p), http://www.trade2win.com/boards/technica...is-77.html on its recent rights issue it is now around 155p , but it took a long time and endured some moves up to 220p .
Although it broadly followed expectations, it shows that some setups are a lot worse and untidy than others.
The other point is that we are always told that the anticipation of fundamentals are in the price,
and it was pretty clear that the company last year was in a very difficult position,
yet it wasn't in the price at all until the actual rights issue announcement, was it.

(2013-05-22, 09:24 AM)Lplate Wrote: Just a follow-up to my Oct 2012 post on the continuation breakdown of FirstGroup FGP.L below 190/185p support (breakdown from stage 3 was earlier at around 300p), http://www.trade2win.com/boards/technica...is-77.html on its recent rights issue it is now around 155p , but it took a long time and endured some moves up to 220p .
Although it broadly followed expectations, it shows that some setups are a lot worse and untidy than others.
The other point is that we are always told that the anticipation of fundamentals are in the price,
and it was pretty clear that the company last year was in a very difficult position,
yet it wasn't in the price at all until the actual rights issue announcement, was it.

From page 5 of SFPIBABM:

"The Tape Tells all." That's more than a cute slogan, it's market philosophy that works. What it simply means is that all of the relevant information about a company's earnings, new products. management, and so forth - the fundamentals - that is currently known and cared about is already incorporated in the price of it's stock.

(2013-05-22, 04:13 PM)goodtyneguy Wrote: "The Tape Tells all."

Goodtyneguy, I have a silly question, but never understood where does the word Tape come from? I understand its Stan's quote but don't know why he refers to the share price as Tape?

RUTrading

"The more mechanical I've made my system and the less subject to judgments and emotions, the more profitable it has become." Stan Weinstein

(2013-05-22, 04:30 PM)RUTrading Wrote: Goodtyneguy, I have a silly question, but never understood where does the word Tape come from? I understand its Stan's quote but don't know why he refers to the share price as Tape?

It's how they used to get the share prices in the old days on a ticker tape machine that printed out the prices. The fantastic "Reminiscences of a Stock Operator" book mentions it a few times during the story.

isatrader

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill - Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.

RE: Watchlist - Traders method

With a potential reversal day in the major indexes I thought I'd see what was breaking down today, and ISRG looks to be a interesting early Stage 4 candidate.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

isatrader

(This post was last modified: 2013-05-22, 10:52 PM by goodtyneguy.)

(2013-05-22, 04:30 PM)RUTrading Wrote:
(2013-05-22, 04:13 PM)goodtyneguy Wrote: "The Tape Tells all."

Goodtyneguy, I have a silly question, but never understood where does the word Tape come from? I understand its Stan's quote but don't know why he refers to the share price as Tape?

There's no such thing as a silly question, Smile ask away.

Note, stocks were quoted in 1/8's above/below the round numbers.