Stage Analysis Video Training Course

US Stocks Breakouts & Breakdowns - SP500, NYSE, & Nasdaq Stock Charts - Page 395

US Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion

For the watchlist from Tuesdays scans - MDSO, ETSY, MFGP, ZLAB, AMZN

isatrader

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill - Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.

RE: US Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion

CASY:

I don't think I could come up with a more textbook continuation:

(2019-06-12, 12:34 AM)pcabc Wrote: CASY:

Maybe it's just me but I don't see any volume spikes at the breakout. Didn't Stan say that we have to look for impressive volume spikes? 

Also, is the sector looking good?

(This post was last modified: 2019-06-12, 07:00 PM by pcabc. Edit Reason: typo. )

(2019-06-12, 05:06 PM)moneymaker Wrote:
(2019-06-12, 12:34 AM)pcabc Wrote: CASY:

Maybe it's just me but I don't see any volume spikes at the breakout. Didn't Stan say that we have to look for impressive volume spikes? 

Also, is the sector looking good?

OK, volume spike, look at right hand edge of 6 month chart, volume on the breakout is greater than 3, maybe 4 or five times the average of the daily volume of the preceeding weeks.

Sectors:

I presume that grocery stores fall into consumer staples, or are related. Based on the slope of the 50 day MA and the 150 day MA and looking at the chart for XLP it is good.

(This post was last modified: 2019-06-12, 07:40 PM by moneymaker.)

Yes, I can agree with you but I think at this price it's more suited for traders since it already advanced in Stage 2. As an investor, I would wait for it to drop in the low 140s at least. But it's a good looking chart nonetheless.

(2019-06-12, 07:40 PM)moneymaker Wrote: Yes, I can agree with you but I think at this price it's more suited for traders since it already advanced in Stage 2. As an investor, I would wait for it to drop in the low 140s at least. But it's a good looking chart nonetheless.

Agree.  I've put in a limit order at 142.5 if I recall.  Anything above that is too far above the breakout price.  If it pulls back / dips in day trading I'll have it.  If not then I have not got in at too high a price.

I need to tweak my screener as this one did not show up, but I know why.

(This post was last modified: 2019-06-12, 08:51 PM by moneymaker.)

What's a screener? Is it something you set up by yourself or a downloadable software? Will it give me the breakout and breakdown list?

I'm interested in getting one.

(This post was last modified: 2019-06-12, 10:56 PM by pcabc. Edit Reason: Correcting the English. )

(2019-06-12, 08:47 PM)moneymaker Wrote: What's a screener? Is it something you set up by yourself or a downloadable software? Will it give me the breakout and breakdown list?

I'm interested in getting one.

Many programs and websites can scan stock data and highlight ones that meet certain parameters.  Some appear to allow quite sophisticated coding and provide useful functions so you can avoid the legwork.

Myself, I programmed my own database / charting program.  It is likely nowhere as slick and flexible as the commercial offerings.  However, it does pretty much what I want, I'm that way inclined anyway and for me it is part of the challenge.  Also it is the way that I feel I can understand the various indicators.  However, I suggest you do not do so.  You need the right skills.  I'm not aware of yours.  Mine are moderate, I am sure someone with a more refined skill-set could do a better job in shorter time.  Also building it will consume masses of time.  However, if you are that way inclined and have the skills you will ignore me and do it anyway. Otherwise if in doubt it is better not to and find a program or site you like.

I suggest a little web searching and look at the graphs used on this site by others as the software they use may be apparent, and if it is not ask.