Stage Analysis Video Training Course

US Stocks Breakouts & Breakdowns - SP500, NYSE, & Nasdaq Stock Charts - Page 441

US Breakout Stocks Watchlist - 14 June 2020

Only a couple for the watchlist from the weekend scans - ADBE, CCXI

To view the charts go to the blog at: US Breakout Stocks Watchlist - 14 June 2020

isatrader

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill - Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.

US Breakout Stocks Watchlist - 15 June 2020

There were a few charts of interest today which I posted on my twitter page: twitter.com/stageanalysis including the VIX and some more fun with google sheets, which I've been experimenting with recently, as you can get free stock data that automatically updates with a 20 min delay. So i've set up my entire trade spreadsheet on their now so that I can see the portfolio updates automatically, and have included volume, average volume etc, which is really useful info to have intraday in a spreadsheet.

I created a separate page today and added the Nasdaq 100 stocks, as you'll see on my twitter, and looked at the volume compared to average volume on all of them. Which showed that around 75% traded below average volume today, when the Nasdaq 100 had around a 3% range on the day, closing up +1.17%. So definitely not an accumulation day. Which is interesting, and something I'm going to start following going forward.

Anyway, here's what I saw from Mondays scans for the watchlist, most have already appeared before though, but a few are at interesting points - CLDR, DHR, DRD, DXCM, EA, GMAB, NVDA, SQ, STAA, TXG, VIPS

To view the charts go to the blog at: US Breakout Stocks Watchlist - 15 June 2020

isatrader

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill - Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.

RE: US Breakout Stocks Watchlist - 15 June 2020

(2020-06-15, 11:06 PM)isatrader Wrote: ....

I created a separate page today and added the Nasdaq 100 stocks, as you'll see on my twitter, and looked at the volume compared to average volume on all of them. Which showed that around 75% traded below average volume today, when the Nasdaq 100 had around a 3% range on the day, closing up +1.17%. So definitely not an accumulation day. Which is interesting, and something I'm going to start following going forward.

[url=https://www.stageanalysis.net/blog/29261/us-breakout-stocks-watchlist-15-june-2020][/url]....

I wonder how that compares to the cummulative advancing / declining volume line?  But you are comparing the overall market volume with its average.  I'm wondering if there is an indicator here, % stocks trading above their 200 day SMA volume perhaps?  But that does not take account of direction.  So perhaps the indicator would just be comparing the advancing / declining cumulative volume line against its MA?

RE: US Stocks Breakouts & Breakdowns - SP500, NYSE, & Nasdaq Stock Charts

Hi, why you search breakouts in daily? The stan method uses weekly..

(2020-06-16, 12:38 AM)steinbergmatias Wrote: Hi, why you search breakouts in daily? The stan method uses weekly..

Because to find weekly breakouts, the stock has to first breakout on the daily chart. If you wait until the end of the week to buy you'll often miss the ideal entry point on the weekly chart, and buy extended with more risk. So you use the end of week for confirmation, but get in on the daily move above the breakout point when it's showing the right characteristics that we look for in the method.

isatrader

These are the ones I'm watching on my main list: $DPZ, $FRPT, $LVGO, $MSFT, $NOW, $NSTG, $RNG, $TTD & $VIPS.

- Marcus Haugaard
"The Tape Tells All" - Stan Weinstein

(2020-06-16, 12:28 AM)pcabc Wrote: I wonder how that compares to the cumulative advancing / declining volume line?  But you are comparing the overall market volume with its average.  I'm wondering if there is an indicator here, % stocks trading above their 200 day SMA volume perhaps?  But that does not take account of direction.  So perhaps the indicator would just be comparing the advancing / declining cumulative volume line against its MA?

I imagine it’s similar to what you see in a cumulative line, but it’s nice to be able to see the individual stocks volume intraday in one place to compare how they are acting compared with the last 50 days volume.

isatrader

(2020-06-16, 11:15 AM)isatrader Wrote:
(2020-06-16, 12:28 AM)pcabc Wrote: I wonder how that compares to the cumulative advancing / declining volume line?  But you are comparing the overall market volume with its average.  I'm wondering if there is an indicator here, % stocks trading above their 200 day SMA volume perhaps?  But that does not take account of direction.  So perhaps the indicator would just be comparing the advancing / declining cumulative volume line against its MA?

I imagine it’s similar to what you see in a cumulative line, but it’s nice to be able to see the individual stocks volume intraday in one place to compare how they are acting compared with the last 50 days volume.

Yes.  When I perform my scans I can manually set a breakout level.  This puts a stock on my watchlist and then I can, intraday, fetch the live data and compare the latest price against the breakout level and highlight any that are above it today, especially if they were below it yesterday.  I could envisage comparing the volume against its average as well.

Provided it did not hit my data allowance I can imagine running an intraday scan, running though a set of stocks, filter only the ones above a rising 150 day SMA, and looking for stocks that have broken out above yesterday's channel (Keltner, Doncian whatever) and then extrapolating their volume and comparing that to the average.  That would give a nice intraday screener.   How useful I'm unsure, as I note that a lot of breakouts occur on the open, most of the move can be very  rapid.