Stage Analysis Video Training Course

UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - Page 67

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion (Premium)

(2014-05-11, 11:23 PM)pcabc Wrote: Thanks, I'll have to look into that. I get most data from Yahoo! or Google api's, I wonder if ADVFN have an API. Neither Google nor Yahoo! seem to allow access to FTSE index data via their APIs. Hence the use of ETFs.

They have something called DDE that runs their data to excel. Here's the link: http://uk.advfn.com/download-monitor/1

isatrader

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill - Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.

(2014-05-11, 11:29 PM)isatrader Wrote:
(2014-05-11, 11:23 PM)pcabc Wrote: Thanks, I'll have to look into that. I get most data from Yahoo! or Google api's, I wonder if ADVFN have an API. Neither Google nor Yahoo! seem to allow access to FTSE index data via their APIs. Hence the use of ETFs.

They have something called DDE that runs their data to excel. Here's the link: http://uk.advfn.com/download-monitor/1

It looks like you have to install a windows app that makes the data available via DDE to local applications. I'm not running windows so I'm not sure how much use this is to me. However, it is something to think about for the future. Googling shows that index data is generally not available via an API (Application Programming Interface), the usual advice is to plot a correspoding ETF instead as they generally are available.

these look like good short formations but the FTSE looks poised to hit a new year high so be careful, also agree about searching out bigger top formations and % run ups

(2014-05-11, 11:17 PM)isatrader Wrote:
(2014-05-11, 11:07 PM)pcabc Wrote:
(2014-05-11, 08:59 PM)isatrader Wrote: It is also in an under performing sector which is support services (NMX2790) which below it's relative performance zero line and is mid range of the FTSE 350 sectors currently, and in Stage 2B- on the sector chart.

This has given me a thought. Whether I should re-visit my attempts at a sector relative strength in addition to the one I do for FTSE250 (MIDD.L)? Would it cause confusion here if I added a second RS plot? Of course, this is also dependent on getting a good sector ETF and good data. Sometimes ETF data is not so good.

Why do you need an ETF? The sector symbol is for support services is NMX2790 and data for itand all other UK sectors is available in multiple places. I download the sector data from ADVFN which is very good for UK data.

(This post was last modified: 2014-05-12, 08:12 PM by pcabc.)

Does SEGRO look good for a continuation?

Breaking above previous high? - Yes
Increase in volume - looks to be around twice EMA20 of the volume.
Sector - other REITs and Investment trusts are doing similar.
Relative strength? - Above zero line and increasing (save for a little noise)

(2014-05-12, 02:07 PM)shaunattwood Wrote: these look like good short formations but the FTSE looks poised to hit a new year high so be careful, also agree about searching out bigger top formations and % run ups

Looking at the FTSE alone (ingnoring everything else going on) it looks like the FTSE is trying to break out through resistance? Does not seem to tie in with Isatraders market breadth stuff so I wonder what will happen?

Time will tell. If the market is going to plunge all sectors will take out their 150 day ma's, and hopefully there'll be ample time to short. While Nasdaq stays above its rising 150 day, I'm inclined to take some long positions.
SGRO is in a solid uptrend and attempting to emerge from a massive 5 year base.

(2014-05-12, 08:10 PM)pcabc Wrote: Does SEGRO look good for a continuation?

Breaking above previous high? - Yes
Increase in volume - looks to be around twice EMA20 of the volume.
Sector - other REITs and Investment trusts are doing similar.
Relative strength? - Above zero line and increasing (save for a little noise)

(2014-05-12, 02:07 PM)shaunattwood Wrote: these look like good short formations but the FTSE looks poised to hit a new year high so be careful, also agree about searching out bigger top formations and % run ups

Looking at the FTSE alone (ingnoring everything else going on) it looks like the FTSE is trying to break out through resistance? Does not seem to tie in with Isatraders market breadth stuff so I wonder what will happen?

(2014-05-12, 08:20 PM)shaunattwood Wrote: Time will tell. If the market is going to plunge all sectors will take out their 150 day ma's, and hopefully there'll be ample time to short. While Nasdaq stays above its rising 150 day, I'm inclined to take some long positions.

I note others are fully in cash. I've sold a lot and I'm not looking to do anything much right now apart from keeping an eye on the stope as the direction is not clear. Though Segro appears to be breaking out I'm not sure that I'd want to go for it due to the uncertainty. However, it is not an equity, it is an REIT. For context I did make some late trades this year and all bar FCCN have bitten me.

So why have I posted all these REIT charts if I am not keen on putting my money where my mouth is? Good question? Are REIT's different from equities? Am I too late for SGRO.L?

(2014-05-12, 09:25 PM)pcabc Wrote: For context I did make some late trades this year and all bar FCCN have bitten me.

FCCN - now that is some chart. Stunning rise over the last few months.

I was watching it consolidate at around the 35 mark while the FTSE was falling. It was showing some great relative strength at that point.

One of the trades I rue not getting involved in during 2014 so far.

Putting all of the charts out there is a way to reinforce your analysis and hone your skills. When you have slight doubts, its always best to stay in cash as you won't get hurt. Be like the vulture, hovering over the market, ready to swoop when the time is right.
SGRO has a big base, but I'd prefer a stronger pick up in volume. Look at the 10 year chart.

(2014-05-12, 09:25 PM)pcabc Wrote:
(2014-05-12, 08:20 PM)shaunattwood Wrote: Time will tell. If the market is going to plunge all sectors will take out their 150 day ma's, and hopefully there'll be ample time to short. While Nasdaq stays above its rising 150 day, I'm inclined to take some long positions.

I note others are fully in cash. I've sold a lot and I'm not looking to do anything much right now apart from keeping an eye on the stope as the direction is not clear. Though Segro appears to be breaking out I'm not sure that I'd want to go for it due to the uncertainty. However, it is not an equity, it is an REIT. For context I did make some late trades this year and all bar FCCN have bitten me.

So why have I posted all these REIT charts if I am not keen on putting my money where my mouth is? Good question? Are REIT's different from equities? Am I too late for SGRO.L?