Stage Analysis Video Training Course

UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - Page 167

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion

(2016-10-07, 09:29 AM)Smellypunks Wrote: Yes very interesting point. Because I am using the investor stoploss I am still in many of my stocks many are down as much as 50% from the high. Which do you see at the strongest sectors right now?

At the moment I mainly consider technology and energy/oil & gas producers as strong.

I was going to say that precious metals and their miners and utilities and perhaps real estate had pullbacks but still had strongly rising MAs (150 day) but I've just notices that the MA of gold has flattened out and turned down on my chart as the utilities sector. With regard to real estate IUSA.L and XLRE look quite different - which is not helpful. Perhaps the GBP/USD exchange rate is affecting IUSA.L?

(This post was last modified: 2016-10-08, 05:59 PM by Smellypunks.)

(2016-10-07, 09:00 PM)pcabc Wrote:
(2016-10-07, 09:29 AM)Smellypunks Wrote:

At the moment I mainly consider technology and energy/oil & gas producers as strong.

I was going to say that precious metals and their miners and utilities and perhaps real estate had pullbacks but still had strongly rising MAs (150 day) but I've just notices that the MA of gold has flattened out and turned down on my chart as the utilities sector. With regard to real estate IUSA.L and XLRE look quite different - which is not helpful. Perhaps the GBP/USD exchange rate is affecting IUSA.L?

Yep that is what I am thinking. I quite like the look of IQE if we are talking technology, it has broken out on good volume, it is trying to get through 2 year old resistance.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(2016-10-08, 05:57 PM)Smellypunks Wrote: Yep that is what I am thinking. I quite like the look of IQE if we are talking technology, it has broken out on good volume, it is trying to get through 2 year old resistance.

Interesting, I lost money on that one in 2015!

I was not up to speed on market breadth at the time. However, since then I've been following it and doing my own calculations for the UK where I could not find a data source and some sectors:

Pity I was not a student of breadth at the time as the advance/decline and momentum indicators at the point I bought are not enthusiastically supporting the buy.

DJI v NYSE over the same period was more enthusiastic, so perhaps I would have followed that?

(This post was last modified: 2016-10-09, 12:12 AM by Smellypunks.)

(2016-10-08, 07:20 PM)pcabc Wrote:
(2016-10-08, 05:57 PM)Smellypunks Wrote: Yep that is what I am thinking. I quite like the look of IQE if we are talking technology, it has broken out on good volume, it is trying to get through 2 year old resistance.

Interesting, I lost money on that one in 2015!

I was not up to speed on market breadth at the time. However, since then I've been following it and doing my own calculations for the UK where I could not find a data source and some sectors:

Pity I was not a student of breadth at the time as the advance/decline and momentum indicators at the point I bought are not enthusiastically supporting the buy.

In 2015 it looks like you got in when the 30w ave was heading down and the stock was under the ave, Stan would not have approved.

Another sector you might like to look at is life insurance, SL.L and PRU.L both look ready to breakout.

(This post was last modified: 2016-10-09, 03:34 PM by Smellypunks.)

HAYD - potential continuation after 12 month consolidation.

OCT - This tech stock is looking interesting. It had a massive bear market which has completed with a two year base. It is retesting the breakout point now.

(2016-10-08, 11:19 PM)Smellypunks Wrote: In 2015 it looks like you got in when the 30w ave was heading down and the stock was under the ave, Stan would not have approved.

MA150d is in light blue and was moving up. Grey is MA 200 days.

Quote:Another sector you might like to look at is life insurance, SL.L and PRU.L both look ready to breakout.

Thanks, I'll have a look. US regional banks look good but I am wary of European ones.

(This post was last modified: 2016-10-10, 12:28 PM by Smellypunks.)

(2016-09-19, 03:27 PM)Smellypunks Wrote: PVCS.L, BYOT.L both look interesting.

PVCS.L is making a continuation breakout. I have shown the Monthly and daily charts with this one as it has been heading up fast and you need the daily to see the shape of the pattern. But the monthly gives you the big picture view which is looking bullish as it is breakout north of a six year pattern on increasing volume.

The alt energy sector (0580 Alternative Energy) in the FTSE is a hard chart to get your hands on, my chart suppler does not seem to have the chart for it. Which is frustrating. Anyone else have the problem?

IAE - energy stock is making a continuation breakout with strong and increasing volume.