Stage Analysis Video Training Course

US Stocks Breakouts & Breakdowns - SP500, NYSE, & Nasdaq Stock Charts - Page 403

RE: US Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion

For the watchlist from the weekend scans - BCOV, BURL, CMG, F, INFY, LULU, MCO, PBR/A, RGD.V, TMUS, ULTA, VHC, WKHS

isatrader

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill - Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.

KL that you highlighted the other day is breaking out.

(2019-07-15, 05:51 PM)briansmith456 Wrote: KL that you highlighted the other day is breaking out.

It is trying, but is lacking the required volume that I'd want to see so far, as I look for at least more than the 200 day average volume by the close. But ideally 2 times or more on a breakout attempt. If it gets to that level of volume by the end of the day and looks like it will close at a new high, then I might be tempted to get in just before the close. So I'll check back in with it 3.45 EST

--------------------------------------
Update, I went long at $44.41 ask just before the close (3:59 EST). Volume was only average, so only a half size position. Will do a full update in my journal thread later.

isatrader

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill - Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.
(This post was last modified: 2019-07-15, 07:54 PM by pcabc.)

TXN has made new highs, but on very modest volume. Also note, financial results due out shortly.

US Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion

For the watchlist from Mondays scans - CYBR, PERI, SVM.TO, PSN, ROKU, GDXJ, LK

isatrader

(2019-07-15, 06:39 PM)isatrader Wrote:
(2019-07-15, 05:51 PM)briansmith456 Wrote: KL that you highlighted the other day is breaking out.

It is trying, but is lacking the required volume that I'd want to see so far, as I look for at least more than the 200 day average volume by the close. But ideally 2 times or more on a breakout attempt. If it gets to that level of volume by the end of the day and looks like it will close at a new high, then I might be tempted to get in just before the close. So I'll check back in with it 3.45 EST

--------------------------------------
Update, I went long at $44.41 ask just before the close (3:59 EST). Volume was only average, so only a half size position. Will do a full update in my journal thread later.

I bought end of day too keeping in mind what you said about volume. I also did not buy a full position.
How will you now determine whether to buy the next position? Will you wait to end of day tomorrow to see volume again?
Thanks,
Brian

(2019-07-15, 11:08 PM)briansmith456 Wrote: I bought end of day too keeping in mind what you said about volume. I also did not buy a full position.
How will you now determine whether to buy the next position? Will you wait to end of day tomorrow to see volume again?
Thanks,
Brian

I have my own methodology based around the 52 week Average True Range (ATR), whereby I only move up a stop loss up once a stock has closed above the 2 times the 52 week Average True Range level from my entry point. This way I minimise risk.

I don't often buy less than a full position on entry, so I will likely use my ATR method for adding to the position. So if it moves to 2 times the 52 week Average True Range from my entry point, then I'll probably add the other half position if it still looks like it's behaving the right way, which will average me into the position at roughly the 1x the 52 week Average True Range level.

Or alternatively, because I have another half position in UBER open at the moment, I might just leave it as a half position, as it will all depend on how much risk I have available at the time in my account. As my rules are very strict to keep any losses as low as possible.

isatrader

(2019-07-14, 10:27 PM)isatrader Wrote: For the watchlist from the weekend scans - BCOV, BURL, CMG, F, INFY, LULU, MCO, PBR/A, RGD.V, TMUS, ULTA, VHC, WKHS

Interesting I see RGD.V (it showed up in your scan yesterday) broke out through resistance after forming a nice base (much like peo.v may try to do) and seems to be back testing the resistance level it broke through and the pullback has been on low volume today. Perhaps if it does not break below 0.21 it would make for a good entry long.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)