Stage Analysis Video Training Course

US Stocks Breakouts & Breakdowns - SP500, NYSE, & Nasdaq Stock Charts - Page 29

(This post was last modified: 2013-08-11, 07:49 PM by goodtyneguy.)

RE: Watchlist - Traders method

(2013-08-09, 02:17 PM)gbarbs Wrote: goodtyne - i own some cbst and renn. i liked your others as well just have to wait for closer stops.

It was your earlier posts with potential candidates in the biotech/pharma which prompted me to look at theses industries.

Well done for getting into RENN (China's Facebook I believe), on the break out into stage 2A I presume. The chart has a great look about it in my opinion and it's the nearest live chart I've seen to the triple confirmation pattern on page 148 of SFPIBABM. There is some overhead supply to get through but it should be blown through if the volume comes in as expected of this pattern. I'm hoping to be able to get in either as a continuation buy on the break out of 4.24 or I may buy if I get a pocket pivot purchase opportunity.

Good luck with both of them.

EDIT: Anyone know where I can get a list of the constituents of the DJ US sub sector indices? I tried on their site but could only see fact sheets for the sector indices. RENN is described by google as being a social media and networking stock and there are four DJ US sub sectors with media in their title.

(2013-08-11, 07:39 PM)goodtyneguy Wrote: Anyone know where I can get a list of the constituents of the DJ US sub sector indices? I tried on their site but could only see fact sheets for the sector indices. RENN is described by google as being a social media and networking stock and there are four DJ US sub sectors with media in their title.

Stockcharts has them here: http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/sectorsummary.html - click throught the major sectors to see the DJ US sub sectors, and then click those to see the constituents of each.

RENN is in Cyclicals / Special Consumer Services. See here: http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/sector...TOR_DJUSCS

When you are in a chart in stockcharts you can click the "full quote" button under the chart to get the sector info to show on the chart.

isatrader

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill - Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.
(This post was last modified: 2013-08-11, 10:16 PM by goodtyneguy.)

(2013-08-11, 08:32 PM)isatrader Wrote: Stockcharts has them here: http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/sectorsummary.html - click throught the major sectors to see the DJ US sub sectors, and then click those to see the constituents of each.

RENN is in Cyclicals / Special Consumer Services. See here: http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/sector...TOR_DJUSCS

When you are in a chart in stockcharts you can click the "full quote" button under the chart to get the sector info to show on the chart.

Aah great, thanks Isa. I learnt something new today. On a different note, you don't happen to know of a diagnostics tool (software) to test a graphics card do you?

(This post was last modified: 2013-08-11, 11:06 PM by goodtyneguy.)

RE: Watchlist - Investor method

Cotton looks poised to break out into stage 2A with just a little near term resistance to overcome. Worth watching the price action to see if it sets up a pivot low below the break out level for a good R2R ratio for a trader play to the near term resistance. An investor play with a stop below the 40 dma would have a low risk of approx. 2.45 times the ATR200.

I brought this one up in post 110 (HAWK.L) and said it had a good looking chart. It broke out on high volume the day after and even at this level is a low risk entry for an investor play. Also worth watching for a pull back entry near to the break out level. At under 9p a share it's worth a punt at what could be a gain of a few hundred percent of its purchase price.

HAWK looks attractive but i don't have the ability to purchase shares on the london exchange. very good looking chart though. added cotton to my watchlist. thanks.

i wish i could say i got into RENN on the breakout but not so. I think i intially noticed the chart when scanning top 10 market movers. i'll run through those typically to find breakouts and then watch for pullbacks (always check the sector/group though). recently, i have stayed away from some good looking charts because stops were too far away (which happens when you miss the breakout). then they just keep going higher and higher. so, i decided to just buy a little so that if the stock price does drop back a large %, its still a small % against my portfolio. and at that point can add a normal size position at a safer level. if it does continue rising, then i get to take part and rewarded for finding it.
weinstein i think made reference to this in one of the interviews posted on this site? about getting in and out in increments rather than all at once. this makes a lot of sense to me. on the sell side i have split up stops between trendlines and swing lows, which is one method he recommends in the book. on the buy side i find it difficult to catch breakouts on the breakout. if i have 20 on my watchlist for example i don't have 20 buy stop orders sitting in place.
so i am trying to stay patient for the safest entries on majority of purchases but allowing some for the best looking charts even if they are far from support.

having said that, i am into RENN at 3.95.

noticed DGIT up a large amount today. looks like this broke out last week - missed that one

SMT charts attached. Broke out and pulling back. Still pretty far from a close stop. I see 1.74 as closest valid stop point which is about 17% from 2.10 where it is as I post this. MA leveled out in April and just started ticking up last month. Volume was very high on breakout.

The technical attributes of AKS has gone a score of 1 out of 9, to a 4 out of 9 this week currently, with the 30 week weighted MA turning up, signalling that it's consolidation of the last four months is now forming a Stage 1 base. So one to watch for a breakout after a two year Stage 4 decline.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

isatrader

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill - Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.