Stage Analysis Video Training Course

US Stocks Breakouts & Breakdowns - SP500, NYSE, & Nasdaq Stock Charts - Page 554

RE: US Stocks Breakouts & Breakdowns - SP500, NYSE, & Nasdaq Stock Charts

(2022-09-06, 06:21 PM)isatrader Wrote:
(2022-09-06, 04:44 PM)Mashed Wrote: Hi!

How do you see YPF? 

For me looks very interesting, maybe a little bit late.

Early Stage 2. So the next point in the method would be on the backup to the Stage 2 breakout level, or during the next consolidation base and continuation breakout

Great! Thanks!  Heart
By the way, I know SW doesn't see the Mansfield RS as relevant now, but don't you find it interesting to compare the stock with the sector or industry too (in my screeshot you can see the indicator with SP500 and XLE)

(2022-09-06, 08:37 PM)Mashed Wrote: Great! Thanks!  Heart
By the way, I know SW doesn't see the Mansfield RS as relevant now, but don't you find it interesting to compare the stock with the sector or industry too (in my screenshot you can see the indicator with SP500 and XLE)

Yeah, he said he's less focused on it these days. But my own research and day to day use over the last 12 years on the method has shown it to be fairly essential for me. But I could see how you could get by without it, as it's possible to see the relative strength in the chart without having the Mansfield indicator after you've looked at enough charts with it on. So I think, it probably just an experience thing, but unwise for newer people to the method, as they are missing a key component when looking at the charts as they don't the experience with it.

Comparing to the sector, industry group and peers is very useful, and one of the best way of finding the leaders within group themes. I use the following chart, that looks at all of those.

isatrader

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill - Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.

(2022-09-06, 08:54 PM)isatrader Wrote:
(2022-09-06, 08:37 PM)Mashed Wrote: Great! Thanks!  Heart
By the way, I know SW doesn't see the Mansfield RS as relevant now, but don't you find it interesting to compare the stock with the sector or industry too (in my screenshot you can see the indicator with SP500 and XLE)

Yeah, he said he's less focused on it these days. But my own research and day to day use over the last 12 years on the method has shown it to be fairly essential for me. ....

I'm wondering whether, if are looking at breakouts in the strongest sectors / groups etc, the Mansfield RS tends to be positive anyway?  That does not invalidate it, but does affect its prominence in screening for stocks?  Another factor is perhaps how we screen for stocks that are breaking out.  I get the impression that 'wood to the trees' was the screening process when the book was written, where you saw if the overall market was strong, then picked the strongest sector then had to look at the charts to pick them, so you had to pick a sector and then eyeball the charts so its use was conscious.  I've written my own database/screener and I suspect everyone uses some form of software screening - it is now practical to screen thousands of stocks, so the RS is just another factor in the scoring system used in the screening process.

(2022-09-07, 08:28 AM)pcabc Wrote: I'm wondering whether, if are looking at breakouts in the strongest sectors / groups etc, the Mansfield RS tends to be positive anyway?  

In the SP500, for sure, I think Big Grin  But maybe vs the sector or industry could fail more, isn't?   

-------
[Image: EAsTIeVq]

Too early, but doesn't look bad on the daily chart. On the weekly chart, there is nothing special about it. When the market recovers, it will have to be on the watchlist.

SBUX - Stage 2 breakout watch

(2022-09-08, 10:49 AM)Mashed Wrote: Too early, but doesn't look bad on the daily chart. On the weekly chart, there is nothing special about it. When the market recovers, it will have to be on the watchlist.

I highlighted this on twitter yesterday actually as it's approaching the Stage 2 breakout level

SBUX. Developing in Stage 1 with an inverse head and shoulders pattern so far, and relative strength vs the S&P 500 outperforming since May, and now moving above the Mansfield RS zero line.

isatrader

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill - Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.

(2022-09-07, 08:28 AM)pcabc Wrote: I'm wondering whether, if are looking at breakouts in the strongest sectors / groups etc, the Mansfield RS tends to be positive anyway? 

Mostly in the strongest groups, but it's an important quality factor, as if the RS line is just moving above a still declining zero line (52 week RS MA), then it has much higher risk of failure than if the zero line (52 week RS MA) has already flattened out and is turning up, with the RS line making new highs ahead of the price action. So, it is a important factor in determining the quality of the breakout, and can help with opportunity cost considerations, especially when comparing multiple stocks from the same group in order to decide which one to trade.

isatrader

RE: SBUX - Stage 2 breakout watch

(2022-09-08, 10:58 AM)isatrader Wrote:
(2022-09-08, 10:49 AM)Mashed Wrote: Too early, but doesn't look bad on the daily chart. On the weekly chart, there is nothing special about it. When the market recovers, it will have to be on the watchlist.

I highlighted this on twitter yesterday actually as it's approaching the Stage 2 breakout level

SBUX. Developing in Stage 1 with an inverse head and shoulders pattern so far, and relative strength vs the S&P 500 outperforming since May, and now moving above the Mansfield RS zero line.

Lol 
I didn't see it.  
Newbie question, how important is the pattern SHS for you?

RE: SBUX - Stage 2 breakout watch

(2022-09-08, 10:31 PM)Mashed Wrote: Lol 
I didn't see it.  
Newbie question, how important is the pattern SHS for you?

Patterns don't matter too much, it mostly the price, volume and RS characteristics that matter the most. Patterns are more important when there's lots of the same type happening across a group.

isatrader