Stage Analysis Video Training Course

Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis and Market Breadth - Technical Analysis - Page 207

(This post was last modified: 2015-07-25, 10:50 AM by pcabc.)

RE: Market Breadth Extra

My attempts at market breadth.

Dow Jones Industrials v NYSE breadth data:

The cumulative new highs, new lows and its crossing of its 100 day average comes form Martin Pring rather than Stan Weinstein. Added it as it is a measure with little subjectivity.

Similar for S&P500:

NASDAQ:

AMEX:

UK

Caution needed here as I've calculated the breadth for the FTSE350 myself. Note also the difference in the MA on the advance / decline line between FTSE100 and MIDD.L:

You will note differences in the advance/decline line where it crosses the 200 day MA at the begining of July for the FTSE250 graph but not the FTSE100 graph. Not sure why. I'm guessing there might be differences in the dates for which I have date for the FTSE100 and MIDD.L but there are no obvious gaps.

Sectors
Here is where real caution is needed. Once I had calculated the FTSE350 breadth data it was relatively easy to calculate breadth data for other sets of stocks. I have calculated breadth data for biotechs, gold miners, banks (mainly US regional) and UK REITs. I added a number of US regional banks into my database for interest following them being highlighted by Garbs. The danger with this data is that the specific set of stocks used for these calculations are not selected scientifically so there might be bias. I'm not sure whether these are useful but I thought they might prove interesting.

I wonder if these mean that biotechs are stronger than the market in general so might hold on longer than the market in general or does it mean that they could drop rapidly to follow the general market? One thing these charts make clear. I'm not buying any gold miners for a while.

[quote='pcabc' pid='9138' dateline='1437817463']

Thanks pcabc,

I don't know if we are at atop yet and about to break down but I suspect so. Do you know of any links to Weinsteins's advice during the 2008 downturn?

(This post was last modified: 2015-07-26, 12:18 PM by pcabc.)

(2015-07-26, 07:44 AM)JimStudent Wrote: [quote='pcabc' pid='9138' dateline='1437817463']

Thanks pcabc,

I don't know if we are at atop yet and about to break down but I suspect so. Do you know of any links to Weinsteins's advice during the 2008 downturn?

I'm only just getting to grips with this myself. Can't find anything from 2008. However, have found a site discussing an interview with Stan Weinstein on the evening of the 1987 crash http://www.nextbigtrade.com/2011/10/. It is well worth a look.

I've plotted the chart for 2008, see below, not the index is the S&P500:

I ought to see if I can do it for 1987, there is less data though.

(2015-07-26, 12:13 PM)pcabc Wrote: I've plotted the chart for 2008, see below, not the index is the S&P500:

I could have added in a support/resistance trendline:

My concern is that drawing this in is easy after the fact. If I plotted a trendline into the future each month how many would be correct?

NYSE Market Breadth Update

Attached is the NYSE Bullish Percent Index and the NYSE long, medium and short term moving average breadth charts.

Note: The NYSE Bullish Percent Index moved to Bear Confirmed Status with Friday's close below the previous column of Os. And it's Bear Confirmed across the board for the NYSE Percentage of Stocks above their 200 Day, 150 Day and 50 Day Moving Averages P&F charts, with the 200 day chart making a continuation breakdown.

The NYSE Bullish Percent Index

NYSE Percentage of Stocks above their 200 Day, 150 Day and 50 Day Moving Averages P&F charts

NYSE Percentage of Stocks above their 200 Day, 150 Day and 50 Day Moving Averages line charts

isatrader

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill - Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.

NYSE Advance Decline Breadth Charts

Attached is the updated Advance Decline Breadth Charts, including the cumulative AD line, momentum index, cumulative AD volume line, 10 Day AD oscillator and the McClellan Oscillator and Summation Index.

isatrader

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill - Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.

NYSE New Highs New Lows

Attached is the NYSE New Highs / New Lows charts.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

isatrader

Major US Stock Indexes Update - NYSE, Nasdaq, S&P 500, Mid Caps and Small Caps

Attached is the updated US equity index charts.

US Stock Indexes

isatrader

(This post was last modified: 2015-07-26, 05:07 PM by pcabc.)

1987, Dow Jones Industrial v NYSE breadth. Sadly no new high and new low data. The advance / decline line did fail to confirm the new high. However, if you were holding on for some more confirmation my goodness, wasn't that drop brutal.