Stage Analysis Video Training Course

Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis and Market Breadth - Technical Analysis - Page 408

RE: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis and Market Breadth - Technical Analysis

(2020-11-18, 09:00 PM)gjjh25 Wrote:
(2020-11-15, 04:22 PM)pcabc Wrote: Hi Do you mind me asking how you produce these charts please?

I have a database which I have a stock price feed for.  I have assigned the stocks to sectors and I have produced a script which measures the various stats like counting the advances and declines in each sector and records those.  I then plot these using a database front end I have written.  That is the very condensed answer.  Some of the assigning stocks to sectors was done manually as I could not, some or a lot of a time, find an on-line resource and I don't pay for that level of data feed.  So there are errors and they have not been rigorously checked.  However, I think they are generally good enough for my purposes and some people might find them of interest here.

I note that breadth data line advance / decline data etc is harder to find than a lot of other data and once you move away from the US exchanges it gets even rarer, so I have had to calculate my own stats for a while.  There used to be an excellent resource at Unicorn Research but they lost their data feeds so their data is historic only now.

Sector market breadth

There was some strong market breadth across all sectors, UK and US mid week.  However, it has dropped back a little at the end of the week.   Precious metals have been weak for 3 1/2 months now.

US sector breadth and momentum:

UK:

Commodities:

US Sectors - Percent of Stocks Above their 150 Day Moving Average

US Sectors: Percent of Stocks Above 150 Day Moving Averages

Sector Average at 79.90% (+1.42% 1wk) - which is in the Stage 2 zone (Bullish). With Energy having the weeks biggest move & finally moving into the Stage 2 range

isatrader

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill - Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.

US Sector breadth:

Gold, Silver and Oil breadth

Breadth charts below.  I use ETFs for the commidity price chart as these have an indication of volume whereas the commodity price feeds I have don't have volume.  Hopeully the ETFs are large enough that the volume is representative of activity in that commodity.

UK and UK Sector breadth

FTSE100 and FTSE250 versus my UK breadth calcs:

Some secotr charts below.  Note that these probally have more errors than the US charts as I follow these less.  Further, the indicies I have and sectors don't always fully align.  You also need to be cautious as there are a lot of UK sectors and some of them, Forestry and Paper for example, only have a few constituents.

Fixed line telecommunications index versus telecommunications breadth, this looks like it is just entering stage 2:

Note that this illustrates the point I made previously, 'telecommunications' includes mobile providers.  But I can only have available fixed and mobile communications indicies.

Other various sectors.  Not the full list:

Owing to the different make up and number of sectors if it difficult to compare the UK and US.  However, it looks like there is much more variation between sectors in the UK.  I've generally been avoiding the UK as the overal breadth and main indicies have not been that hot.  But maybe I should have been braver and picked a few good sectors?  Not sure.

In Focus: Bitcoin approaches all time highs

I've highlighted Bitcoin multiple times this year as it's moved from Stage 4 to Stage 1 to the current strong Stage 2 advance that's challenging the all time highs. See my twitter feed for some of the posts on the week of the Stage 2A breakout: https://twitter.com/stageanalysis/status...99904?s=20 - This is a great example of how you can use Stage Analysis to be ready for the Stage 2A entry point, and hence get in at the right time.

Since the Stage 2A breakout point on the 27th July 2020 its moved in textbook fashion with an initial rally and pullback to setup for the secondary B entry point, and then made a Stage 2 continuation breakout higher on the announcement by PayPal that US users of PayPal would be able to start buying and selling Bitcoin directly from the PayPal app, which has driven the Stage 2 advance towards the all time highs.

Whether this continues is an unknown as always. However, with new mainstream ways to buy and sell bitcoin, it could be a key driver going forward, and may encourage more mainstream retail adoption, institutional investors and new ways to buy and sell from other companies. So I'll be watching for the next base to form, which seems logical to me that it will meet resistance around the all time highs and start to base there.

isatrader

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill - Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.

(2020-11-18, 09:51 PM)pcabc Wrote:
(2020-11-18, 09:00 PM)gjjh25 Wrote:
(2020-11-15, 04:22 PM)pcabc Wrote: Hi Do you mind me asking how you produce these charts please?

I have a database which I have a stock price feed for.  I have assigned the stocks to sectors and I have produced a script which measures the various stats like counting the advances and declines in each sector and records those.  I then plot these using a database front end I have written.  That is the very condensed answer.  Some of the assigning stocks to sectors was done manually as I could not, some or a lot of a time, find an on-line resource and I don't pay for that level of data feed.  So there are errors and they have not been rigorously checked.  However, I think they are generally good enough for my purposes and some people might find them of interest here.

I note that breadth data line advance / decline data etc is harder to find than a lot of other data and once you move away from the US exchanges it gets even rarer, so I have had to calculate my own stats for a while.  There used to be an excellent resource at Unicorn Research but they lost their data feeds so their data is historic only now.
Thanks for the reply, sounds interesting, i am trying to set something up in sharepad as an export at the moment.