Stage Analysis Video Training Course

Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis and Market Breadth - Technical Analysis - Page 310

RE: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis

Interesting. As are the ETF charts. Thanks Isatrader.

(2018-11-11, 03:00 PM)isatrader Wrote: Something slightly different to add to the breadth posts this week. I received the following email from Mark Minervini's website on Friday with a bit of his commentary on the current market condition. So thought I'd share it on here too.

Thanks for the share, interesting indeed, when the s&p500 closes over the 30 week ema then I'll start thinking bullish too. Today's close of the DJ30 relative to it's  30 week is even more important I think.

(This post was last modified: 2018-11-12, 10:43 PM by pcabc.)

US sectors, strength based on 150 day SMA slope

Based on the slope, and last Friday's data I have this:

Code:
Sr     Symbol     Name                                     150MA slope %pa.
1    XLU    Utilities Select Sector SPDR ETF    10    
2    XLRE    Real Estate Select Sector SPDR             4    
3    XLV    Health Care Select Sector SPDR ETF     3    
4    XLY    Consumer Discret Sel Sect SPDR ETF     2    
5    XLK    Technology Select Sector SPDR ETF     2    
6    XLP    Consumer Staples Select Sector SPDR ETF    -4    
7    XLF    Financial Select Sector SPDR ETF       -14    
8    XLI    Industrial Select Sector SPDR ETF      -14    
9    XLE    Energy Select Sector SPDR ETF           -16    
10    XLB    Materials Select Sector SPDR ETF       -20

Breath charts for utilities, consumer staples (breadth is for consumer goods) and healthcare.  Note, these are from pools of stocks in my database so the sectors won't have all constituents, there may be errors etc.  Can needs to be taken with the consumer staples chart, the breadth is from consumer goods - so there is somewhat of a breadth plot missmatch.  However, I've included it as the breadth is clearly the strongest.

Addendum: My consumer good breadth data is from only 37 stocks. Suspect this is still a rough indication unless it is skewed in some way like mainly large caps (it likely is).

(2018-11-11, 11:52 AM)isatrader Wrote: Another set of breadth charts I thought was interesting at the moment is the effective volume charts of some of the major US ETFs, which shows the large player and small player volume, and the combined charts from  http://www.effectivevolume.com/content.p...etf-review

Shows institutional money coming back into the Nasdaq 100 ETF over the last few weeks, but much less so in the SPY and IWM, although they have stabilised and are around their 20 day MA currently.

Breath, from Friday, of the NASDAQ:

Advancing / declining volume is stronger than advance/  decline.  Volume in the NASDAQ100 loos weaker at the moment. I'm not in a position to say anything conclusive myself.

(2018-11-11, 03:00 PM)isatrader Wrote: Something slightly different to add to the breadth posts this week. I received the following email from Mark Minervini's website on Friday with a bit of his commentary on the current market condition. So thought I'd share it on here too.
Hi Isa,
I'm thinking about reading Mark Minervini's book. Do you think it's beneficial ?

(This post was last modified: 2018-11-14, 07:30 PM by pcabc.)

(2018-11-14, 06:32 PM)arkyuan Wrote:
Hi Isa,
I'm thinking about reading Mark Minervini's book. Do you think it's beneficial ?

Hope you don't mind me pitching in.  Personally I find that the writing style is straight forward and easy to follow.  The fundamental side obviously differs from stage analysis but I'd say that the technical side follows a different but allied approach.  This makes it worthwhile.

(2018-11-14, 07:29 PM)pcabc Wrote:
(2018-11-14, 06:32 PM)arkyuan Wrote:
Hi Isa,
I'm thinking about reading Mark Minervini's book. Do you think it's beneficial ?

Hope you don't mind me pitching in. Personally I find that the writing style is straight forward and easy to follow. The fundamental side obviously differs from stage analysis but I'd say that the technical side follows a different but allied approach. This makes it worthwhile.

I'd say that both of his books are well worth reading, as they really help with expanding on the trader method and learning to be better at managing risk. I highly recommend reading both.

isatrader

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill - Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.

RE: Cumulative P&F Breakouts - Breakdowns custom Breadth charts

Attached is my updated custom breadth charts that I do based on the daily point and figure double top breakouts and double bottom breakdowns.

Totals for the week:

+179 double top breakouts
-538 double bottom breakdowns

-359 net breakdowns

Note: Although there was more breakdowns again this week, the momentum in the breakdowns has slowed significantly, so there are signs of potential divergences forming in the various charts. So I see these as more neutral now personally than they have been for a while.

isatrader

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill - Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.