Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
Introduce yourself here! - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: Introduce yourself here! (/Thread-Introduce-yourself-here)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: Introduce yourself here! - isatrader - 2013-05-22

I just wanted to say a big welcome to all the new members that have joined recently if I haven't already spoken to you. It's really good to have you here, and is nice to see the site coming to life already.

I still have a big to do list, which is growing all the time, but will give you some idea of the initial things that I want to do on the site. Some are already in progress, whereas other are yet to be started.

To do list
  1. New examples of the 12 sub-stages to be created from May 2013 Global Trend Alert. To see 100s of previous examples go to: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/technical-analysis/134944-stan-weinsteins-stage-analysis-3.html#post1698054 for Stage examples from the March 2005 GTA and http://www.trade2win.com/boards/technical-analysis/134944-stan-weinsteins-stage-analysis-41.html#post1804190 for Stage examples from the March 2012 GTA.
  2. Buying and selling reference guide - checklist
  3. Trader and Investor stop loss positioning guide - thread started here: Stop Loss Positioning Guide
  4. Entry setups - Breakouts and pullbacks
  5. When to sell - Trader and Investor methods
  6. The methods key components - volume, relative performance and resistance/support
  7. Point and Figure charting for Stage Analysis
  8. Go through the old thread on t2w and to get the key discussion points onto here
  9. Using stage analysis with fundamental data
  10. Frequently asked questions section
    • Chart software
    • Scanner software for filtering picks
    • Chart setup guide, including creating the Mansfield Relative Strength, plus "how to guides" for specific chart programs i.e. ProRealTime and Stockcharts
    • Moving averages - Simple or Weighted 30 week moving average
    • Sector analysis
    • Weight of evidence approach - momentum index, advance decline, new high new low etc
    • Head and shoulders patterns
    • Calculating swing targets
    • Drawing trendlines
    • Forest to the Trees approach
    • Using the method with products other than stocks
    • Short interest ratio
  11. Watchlists for different markets i.e. US and UK stocks
    • Watchlist thread for stocks in the S&P 500
    • Watchlist thread for stocks in the UK FTSE 350
  12. Relative performance tables
  13. Videos
  14. And many more things...
Premium ideas to support the running of the website
  1. Banner adverts
  2. Study Guide - Multiple new quiz questions for each chapter of the book (ebook or online test)
  3. Individual Stage Analysis reports
That's the list currently that I can think of, but I'm sure there's many more things that will go on it, but it will hopefully give you some idea of what I want to create on here. In the meantime, if you have questions about the method that you can't find in the book, on here, or the old t2w thread, then the best place to post them is in the Beginners Questions thread, where myself or other more experienced members from the site can help you.

Welcome to StageAnalysis

Cheers

RE: Introduce yourself here! - Tryst - 2013-05-22

Great list of potential content for the site, isatrader.

Admiral - Sardinia is a lovely place, and quite expensive to visit Smile

RE: Introduce yourself here! - Tryst - 2013-06-02

Hi isatrader,

I'd like to discuss with people on how to illustrate/describe their home hardware/software trading setup.

Is it worth starting a new thread on this forum or should it piggy back on some thread?

I am in the process of purchasing hardware and will then move onto the software, so should be great to pick peoples brains on their current setup...along with it also be a great resource for potential traders going forward.

Thanks

RE: Introduce yourself here! - isatrader - 2013-06-02

(2013-06-02, 12:07 PM)Tryst Wrote: Hi isatrader,

I'd like to discuss with people on how to illustrate/describe their home hardware/software trading setup.

Is it worth starting a new thread on this forum or should it piggy back on some thread?

I am in the process of purchasing hardware and will then move onto the software, so should be great to pick peoples brains on their current setup...along with it also be a great resource for potential traders going forward.

Thanks

I'm trying to limit the amount of threads for the time being so that the site stays focused and doesn't become too bitty, as I want it to be organised a bit like a book. So I think the best place for a discussion on home hardware/software trading setup currently would be in the Beginners Questions thread, and then in time if I feel the discussion deserves it's own thread I can copy the relevant posts into a new thread.

Cheers

RE: Introduce yourself here! - Tryst - 2013-06-02

ok, thanks, isatrader

Home setups - Tryst - 2013-06-05

Hi all,

I am in the process of getting some new PC kit for trading in my spare bedroom which I will be doing out soon and would like to get some ideas in terms of the hardware and software which people use, and to also get there opinions on how they think their set up works for them.

I'm hoping that the information people post about their home set up will help other people in a similar situation to myself, or maybe people who already have a setup and are looking for an alternative.

The setup I am intending is to have three 23" monitors (already purchased), with a half decent PC. I won't be day trading as such (as have a full time job) but I would be looking to swing trade maybe in the indexes and commodities in the evenings. The main focus though will be on the staged analysis based charting. So, my intention is to have a monitor for the weekly, a monitor for the daily chart, and then a monitoring which is for general internet usage but also for the 30min/1hr chart.

The PC I still haven't bought, but I am looking for a decent spec'd one, maybe a refurb from PC World or something. I have been advised to get a solid state hard-drive, but tbh I won't be day trading off 5 min charts so speed of execution isn't a necessity.

So my two simple questions are....

1) How many monitors do people use? If more than 1 monitor, how have you handled this on your PC/graphics card?

2) What trading software do you use and what are your thoughts? I know there is some brief coverage of this on this thread already, but I would like to know I am fully aware of what is out there before making a commitment. I am aware of the following:
- ProRealTime (currently using this for EoD data, and find it is very good)
- ShareScope (not used but has been recommended)
- IncredibleCharts (seems like the budget line of charting software)

Thanks

RE: Introduce yourself here! - Locked in - 2013-06-06

On the hardware level, I just have a new laptop and my old one so I can set up anywhere..3 screens seems like overkill...overkill that I would love to have that is- I'm not sure about running that many screens but I know that my old laptop 4gb memory and 4 yr old standard hp graphics card had no problem running any size single screen. There are a lot of options with graphics cards these days but if you are not really into gaming or 3D then you will probably be just fine with the standard one that comes with any system you pick up. About the 3 screens however, you will probably need to pick up another card for them to run well. Some however, can run 3 screens.

Other than that, I believe there is a thread on here dedicated to the software but I personally use prorealtime (like you only EoD but my favorite by far), chartmill (which I like for its "effective volume" indicator and the ability to set up a whole list of charts on a single page), and scottrade/optionshouse platforms (not great by any means but trade through them...). There is also freestockcharts and the ones you mentioned. As for paid software, I know isatrader (with his nice lists and breadth charts that he creates) could surely provide a better answer than I could as I forgot the software he uses but it is out of UK.. I get by with using a combination of any of the above as you can find different indicators and features on different software..but, it does make for a lot of research and flipping back and forth. Have fun setting up! Jealous-

RE: Introduce yourself here! - Tryst - 2013-06-07

thanks for the reply Locked in.

The set up is to be fixed in my spare room, and will use my laptop/ipad for mobile trading. your right, it is overkill for now, but I am preparing it for what I will ultimate (I hope) grow into. I will definately be swing trading commodities/indexes on the 30 min charts, so I guess it will come into use then. I had a good discussion with a PC technician and a shop today and he provided me some good examples of average graphics cards (it will only power charting on 3 monitors with no gaming intended).

Re. the software, thanks for the heads up on some of them. I'll check them out.

have a good weekend

sorry, forgot to add...you mention that there is another thread coverage software...do you have a link to that as I can't find it?

Thanks