Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion (/Thread-UK-Stocks-and-ETFs-Watchlist-and-Discussion)

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - isatrader - 2014-02-16

(2014-02-16, 03:13 PM)malaguti Wrote: I was referring to page 110 "where the Mansfield chart plots relative strength; they use a complex (proprietary page 109) weighted formula". It does say the results are the same, but in some cases they could be a little different as I mentioned. Either way, I guess its taking things to an extreme for me to be that precise. I want the RS to be showing more strength, and for anglo american, it needs more. If all other factors were good as he says..

As for the RS against which market, he mentions the DJI on the majority of occasions but I just put that down to the stocks he was demonstrating..he also mentions it could have been the S&P in one example so I honestly interpreted that as the market to which that instrument is in. Unfortunately when he mentions apple, he doesn't specifically mention what his relative is..I just would have assumed the nasdaq.

However it dispels doubt to use a single reference such as the S&P..I can certainly understand that, but gives a slightly different bias as in the case of Anglo.
we start with a market for bias towards a direction, then use an RS of a different market. Anyway look, I'm not trying to argue Angel
I'll see if I can replicate his historical charts which may be difficult given the number of years back and see if I can understand more and let you know if anything crops up.
apologies to go off on a tangent..lets see how Anglo gets on anyway, whatever its relative performance is Big Grin

That's interesting, the calculation is clearly one of those grey areas that we may never know the exact answer to, but is worth looking into. But whether weighted or simple it will only be slightly different, so I'm happy to stick to the simple MA for consistency as has worked well over the years.

It will be interesting to see what you find. So good luck with the research. And I can see your point about starting with a bias towards market direction and then using the RS of a different market, but I still think that a universal relative strength reading is more useful as you might have the strongest stock in the FTSE, but it could still be a weak stock compared to other markets and so wouldn't be a good pick as there are "opportunity costs" to consider as he talks about on page 97. So my preference is for a universal reading, but as I said previously it's perfectly acceptable to compare the specific market if you prefer that, and you can even compare to multiple markets and change the sensitivity of the zero line to be faster if you are a trader. For example one member compares to the FTSE100 and uses a 50 day MA for his RS zero line I've noticed. So it's up to you what you decide to use. Smile

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - isatrader - 2014-02-16

(2014-02-16, 03:13 PM)malaguti Wrote: I was referring to page 110 "where the Mansfield chart plots relative strength; they use a complex (proprietary page 109) weighted formula". It does say the results are the same, but in some cases they could be a little different as I mentioned. Either way, I guess its taking things to an extreme for me to be that precise. I want the RS to be showing more strength, and for anglo american, it needs more. If all other factors were good as he says..

As for the RS against which market, he mentions the DJI on the majority of occasions but I just put that down to the stocks he was demonstrating..he also mentions it could have been the S&P in one example so I honestly interpreted that as the market to which that instrument is in. Unfortunately when he mentions apple, he doesn't specifically mention what his relative is..I just would have assumed the nasdaq.

However it dispels doubt to use a single reference such as the S&P..I can certainly understand that, but gives a slightly different bias as in the case of Anglo.
we start with a market for bias towards a direction, then use an RS of a different market. Anyway look, I'm not trying to argue Angel
I'll see if I can replicate his historical charts which may be difficult given the number of years back and see if I can understand more and let you know if anything crops up.
apologies to go off on a tangent..lets see how Anglo gets on anyway, whatever its relative performance is Big Grin

That's interesting, the calculation is clearly one of those grey areas that we may never know the exact answer to, but is worth looking into. But whether weighted or simple it will only be slightly different, so I'm happy to stick to the simple MA for consistency as has worked well over the years.

It will be interesting to see what you find. So good luck with the research. And I can see your point about starting with a bias towards market direction and then using the RS of a different market, but I still think that a universal relative strength reading is more useful as you might have the strongest stock in the FTSE, but it could still be a weak stock compared to other markets and so wouldn't be a good pick as there are "opportunity costs" to consider as he talks about on page 97. So my preference is for a universal reading, but as I said previously it's perfectly acceptable to compare the specific market if you prefer that, and you can even compare to multiple markets and change the sensitivity of the zero line to be faster if you are a trader. For example one member compares to the FTSE100 and uses a 50 day MA for his RS zero line I've noticed. So it's up to you what you decide to use. Smile

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - Tryst - 2014-02-17

Hi Isatrader,

I have been wanting to use the 'like/reputation' feature for a while but have never been able to locate it. You say it should be in the bottom left of a post but it is not there for me when viewing other peoples posted. The bottom link on a users post is the 'send this user a private message' button.

Also, and its been like this since I joined, these images/buttons at the bottom of each post are not displaying for me. I get the default browser missing image icon for each of the six buttons that are a foot of each post.

Hi Isatrader,

I have been wanting to use the 'like/reputation' feature for a while but have never been able to locate it. You say it should be in the bottom left of a post but it is not there for me when viewing other peoples posted. The bottom link on a users post is the 'send this user a private message' button.

Also, and its been like this since I joined, these images/buttons at the bottom of each post are not displaying for me. I get the default browser missing image icon for each of the six buttons that are a foot of each post.

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - isatrader - 2014-02-17

(2014-02-17, 12:39 AM)Tryst Wrote: Hi Isatrader,

That is very strange, and I haven't had any reports of that from anyone else. Have you tried to view the site on a different internet browser? Like Firefox, Chrome, Safari etc. My preference is to use Firefox.

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - isatrader - 2014-02-17

(2014-02-17, 12:39 AM)Tryst Wrote: Hi Isatrader,

That is very strange, and I haven't had any reports of that from anyone else. Have you tried to view the site on a different internet browser? Like Firefox, Chrome, Safari etc. My preference is to use Firefox.

Chrome is my browser of choice...and that is where the images/links don't show. If you mouse over the dead icons you can see the title text popup which is why I knew what each one done.

Now i've opened up the site in Firefox and the text links are actually showing...however, the rate/reputation link still isn't in the bottom left of each post.

Chrome is my browser of choice...and that is where the images/links don't show. If you mouse over the dead icons you can see the title text popup which is why I knew what each one done.

Now i've opened up the site in Firefox and the text links are actually showing...however, the rate/reputation link still isn't in the bottom left of each post.