Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion (/Thread-UK-Stocks-and-ETFs-Watchlist-and-Discussion)

RE: UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - pcabc - 2020-05-06

CER

The spread is about 4% so not good, but I though it might be interesting to look at.  Chert looks like it is a but thinly traded - likely explains the spread:

RE: UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - Boggers - 2020-05-06

Hi pcabc

I'm glad someone is keeping an eye out on UK stocks. I'm not trading at the moment but I do run scans daily.
Spreads seem to be really high I was creating a new screen on Stockopedia yesterday, the first parameter I put in was spread <4% and the number of stocks remaining on the all share was halved.  

I must have a go at posting a couple of charts, but I thought Jarvis Securities JIM looked interesting, broken out on some volume. 1M RS 40%, the spread is 3.7%

RE: UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - pcabc - 2020-05-06

(2020-05-06, 01:22 PM)Boggers Wrote: Hi pcabc

I'm glad someone is keeping an eye out on UK stocks. I'm not trading at the moment but I do run scans daily.
Spreads seem to be really high I was creating a new screen on Stockopedia yesterday, the first parameter I put in was spread <4% and the number of stocks remaining on the all share was halved.  

I must have a go at posting a couple of charts, but I thought Jarvis Securities JIM looked interesting, broken out on some volume. 1M RS 40%, the spread is 3.7%

There is a reason why the UK does not get much mention, it has been much weaker than the US.  Just compare the FTSE100 versus the S&P500 for the last few years. Also there are considerably more stocks to chose from in the US compared with the UK and like you say, the higher spreads do not help.  So once you start screening it really cuts things down. I don't find too much in the way of UK stocks coming out of my screener.

UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - isatrader - 2020-06-07

I'm going to start posting more regularly in the UK thread again, as I've decided to put together a portfolio of UK stocks in my SIPP pension account. To begin with I've gone through the FTSE 350 manually and picked out stocks in the same way that I do with the US watchlist. So some have already broken out, some are pulling back, some are basing, and some are close to buy points etc. And I've also run a scan for growth stocks via ADVFN and added a few additional stocks from that too.

Here's the initial watchlist - AHT.L, AO.L, BHP.L, BOO.L, CHG.L, FRES.L, GAW.L, GRI.L, GVC.L, GYS.L, HGM.L, HIK.L, HLMA.L, HOC.L, HRI.L, HSV.L, HWDN.L, IDOX.L, IHP.L, INPP.L, ITRK.L, JD.L, JFJ.L, KNOS.L, LGEN.L, LMP.L, LRE.L, LSE.L, MNKS.L, OCDO.L, PCT.L, PETS.L, PFD.L, PFD.L, PHNX.L, PLUS.L, PNN.L, POG.L, POLY.L, PSH.L, PSN.L, QLT.L, RB.L, RIO.L, RMV.L, RSW.L, RTO.L, SAFE.L, SCT.L, SDR.L, SFOR.L, SGE.L, SGRO.L, SKG.L, SLA.L, SMT.L, SPT.L, SPX.L, STJ.L, SVS.L, WMH.L, WWH.L, XPP.L

I'm going to spend some time going through the sales and earning growth of each and the return on equity figures and spread etc to help me cull the list further. Three that have stood out initially for me are BOO.L, GAW.L, POG.L

Note: Numerous stocks have annual earnings due during June. So be careful to check dates of earnings if you are considering any.

Attached are some of the charts

RE: UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - pcabc - 2020-07-12

RE: UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - Boggers - 2020-07-13

(2020-07-12, 12:21 PM)pcabc Wrote: 888

Hi Pcabc

I saw that one breakout, did you buy? 

I thought the volume was not that great, plus the eps is a bit lower than I normally buy

RE: UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - pcabc - 2020-07-13

(2020-07-13, 12:30 PM)Boggers Wrote:
(2020-07-12, 12:21 PM)pcabc Wrote: 888

Hi Pcabc

I saw that one breakout, did you buy? 

I thought the volume was not that great, plus the eps is a bit lower than I normally buy

Boggers, no I did not buy.  I thought it was interesting so that is why I posted it.  However, UK market breadth has not been so wonderful and the US sector breadth has not been so good either so I am being cautious.
https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Thread-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-and-Market-Breadth-Technical-Analysis?pid=16294#pid16294

I'm trying to be more selective when I open positions with stage analysis as I've had short periods of good success and longer periods where failing positions have ground my account down owing to costs, slippage as well as perhaps some less than ideal choices. The UK, with few exceptions, has been a lot weaker than the US so I'm keeping an eye out for UK stocks but it has not been my main point of attention.

Back to 888.L's volume. I agree, volume could have been stronger, but I do note there had been some strong positive spikes in the preceding weeks and Thursday's and Friday's volume were fairly good.

UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - isatrader - 2020-07-14

OCDO.L - in Stage 2 consolidating the 100%+ move off of the March lows, and at the 50 day MA, forming a potential 3 weeks tight pattern. Fundamentals look terrible. But price action is strong and volume has got quiet while it's held up. So watching for a breakout above the developing range at 2082