Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion (/Thread-UK-Stocks-and-ETFs-Watchlist-and-Discussion)

RE: UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - pcabc - 2019-12-13

(2019-12-13, 02:23 PM)isatrader Wrote:
(2019-12-13, 12:30 PM)pcabc Wrote: FTSE 250 is up 4.4% right now.  I don't think I've seen an index do that big a move before.

The UK market is finally starting to perform inline with the US again. So that's why I've started posting for the watchlist again, as may consider switching some of my money out of the US indexes and into some UK stocks now for my SIPP.

Here's hoping.  The FX charges dwarf other charges.

RE: UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - Tryst - 2019-12-15

I've just started trading US stocks and the FX charges there are a bummer, but tbh there is no stamp duty so it balances out I guess. The UK stocks have been so flat for so long with false break outs. Its been very dull.

The question I have I guess is are US stocks in a UK stocks and shares ISA exempt from tax?

RE: UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - isatrader - 2019-12-15

(2019-12-15, 01:47 AM)Tryst Wrote: I've just started trading US stocks and the FX charges there are a bummer, but tbh there is no stamp duty so it balances out I guess. The UK stocks have been so flat for so long with false break outs. Its been very dull.

The question I have I guess is are US stocks in a UK stocks and shares ISA exempt from tax?

You normally have to sign a W8-BEN form in your account, which sorts out the US tax on any dividends you might get, and makes it 15% US withholding tax instead of 30%. And normally with most ISAs you won't be trading the physical US shares, but instead a proxy of them on LSE via a CREST Depository Interest (CDI), which only trades during the UK trading hours.

UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - isatrader - 2019-12-15

As expected after the election result on Friday morning it's not surprising that there was a huge amount of strong volume moves in the UK market on Friday. Of particular note was the amount property developers stocks making new highs.

For the watchlist from the weekend scans – part 1:

AIR.L, AJB.L, AMER.L, BARC.L, BDEV.L, BKG.L, BLND.L, BREE.L, BRW.L, BVS.L, BWY.L, CDM.L, COB.L, CPI.L, CRST.L, FORT.L, FOXT.L, GFRD.L, GLE.L

The charts can be found at: UK Stocks Watchlist - 15th December 2019 - Part 1

UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - isatrader - 2019-12-15

For the UK watchlist from the weekend scans – part 2:

GOOD.L, GYM.L, HEAD.L, HYVE.L, IHP.L, INL.L, KLR.L, MARS.L, MGP.L, NG.L, NUM.L, OTB.L, QLT.L, QQ.L, RBS.L, RCH.L, SPI.L, SUMO.L, SVT.L, UU.L, WIN.L

The charts can be found at: UK Stocks Watchlist - 15th December 2019 - Part 2

RE: UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - Tryst - 2019-12-16

(2019-12-15, 10:52 AM)isatrader Wrote:
(2019-12-15, 01:47 AM)Tryst Wrote: I've just started trading US stocks and the FX charges there are a bummer, but tbh there is no stamp duty so it balances out I guess. The UK stocks have been so flat for so long with false break outs. Its been very dull.

You normally have to sign a W8-BEN form in your account, which sorts out the US tax on any dividends you might get, and makes it 15% US withholding tax instead of 30%. And normally with most ISAs you won't be trading the physical US shares, but instead a proxy of them on LSE via a CREST Depository Interest (CDI), which only trades during the UK trading hours.

Hi IsaTrader, yes I signed a W8-BEN form. I am using Hargreaves Lansdown. I have placed trades during US business hours which were our of UK hours.

My main question really is when you say I will have 15% US withholding tax, is that all covered when I am placing the trade or is it a tax I need to declare when make a profitable trade?

Thanks

RE: UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - isatrader - 2019-12-16

(2019-12-16, 02:29 AM)Tryst Wrote: My main question really is when you say I will have 15% US withholding tax, is that all covered when I am placing the trade or is it a tax I need to declare when make a profitable trade?

As far as I'm aware, they just give you the net figure for the US dividend, and then there's no tax to declare as it's within your ISA.

UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - isatrader - 2019-12-17

For the UK watchlist from Mondays scans - BIFF, BOWL, CCC, CHG, LTG, PHTM, YOU.L

The charts can be found at: UK Stocks Watchlist - 16th December 2019