Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion (/Thread-UK-Stocks-and-ETFs-Watchlist-and-Discussion)

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - isatrader - 2014-02-02

(2014-02-02, 11:52 AM)Tryst Wrote: With the latest code you pasted here, is this run on a weekly chart?

The code I pasted is run on the Daily selection period, which you should be able to tell from the Volume Average and the ATR setting, as on a daily they are 200 and a weekly they should be changed to 52. See attached below:

Also, I've attached my scanning screen setup, as I find looking at multiple time frames, resistance and point and figure on the same screen really helps when going through the results. I look at the weekly chart first, and have two versions on the same screen - one clean and one with ichimoku for support and resistance. Then the daily and monthly charts on the right, and a 1% P&F chart on the left. I have 27" screen though, so it wouldn't be possible on a smaller screen to have it all open, although I know some people have two small screens etc.

(2014-02-02, 11:52 AM)Tryst Wrote: I'm trying to understand what the array for 'Close' is as you are using array indexers (c2= Close[0] > Close[1]). If you are using a weekly chart, does 'Close[0]' mean the latest/current weekly close (price or volume?)? and 'Close[1]' means the previous weekly close (price or volume)?

Close[0] > Close[1] is for Price and means today's close is greater than yesterdays close.

So if you want to do a scan on the weekly chart then change the Selection of period drop down menu to Weekly and adjust the volume and ATR settings to 52 and save as a separate scan. As I said it's fairly straight forward, so you'll get the hang of it quickly.

I hope that helps

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - isatrader - 2014-02-02

(2014-02-02, 11:52 AM)Tryst Wrote: With the latest code you pasted here, is this run on a weekly chart?

The code I pasted is run on the Daily selection period, which you should be able to tell from the Volume Average and the ATR setting, as on a daily they are 200 and a weekly they should be changed to 52. See attached below:

Also, I've attached my scanning screen setup, as I find looking at multiple time frames, resistance and point and figure on the same screen really helps when going through the results. I look at the weekly chart first, and have two versions on the same screen - one clean and one with ichimoku for support and resistance. Then the daily and monthly charts on the right, and a 1% P&F chart on the left. I have 27" screen though, so it wouldn't be possible on a smaller screen to have it all open, although I know some people have two small screens etc.

(2014-02-02, 11:52 AM)Tryst Wrote: I'm trying to understand what the array for 'Close' is as you are using array indexers (c2= Close[0] > Close[1]). If you are using a weekly chart, does 'Close[0]' mean the latest/current weekly close (price or volume?)? and 'Close[1]' means the previous weekly close (price or volume)?

Close[0] > Close[1] is for Price and means today's close is greater than yesterdays close.

So if you want to do a scan on the weekly chart then change the Selection of period drop down menu to Weekly and adjust the volume and ATR settings to 52 and save as a separate scan. As I said it's fairly straight forward, so you'll get the hang of it quickly.

I hope that helps

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - Tryst - 2014-02-02

cool, thanks for clarifying.

Will let you know how I get on Smile

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - Tryst - 2014-02-02

cool, thanks for clarifying.

Will let you know how I get on Smile

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - Tryst - 2014-02-03

Hi Isatrader,

just getting some screeners coded and going through the manual and some online help. It looks like this could be very interesting tool to add to the armour. Got a good few ideas in my mind I want to try out and see if they are possible to code.

With your code you have posted above, so I understand things better, I have some questions..

what is the following line of code doing

c3 = Average[10](Close[0]) > Average[10](Close[1])

The first part is todays close, but what is it doing with the 10 day average. Is it saying if the 10 day average closing price is greater than the 10 day average closing price until yesterday?

When you do a calculation like this, is the fact that you have the previous days close (Close[1]) with Average[10] saying that you want the 10 day average closing price up until yesterday's close? So the 10 day average shifts down a day? (so if we had Average[10](Close[2]) Average[10] would shift down another day?)

With the following line of code...
c4 = Close > 5

What is 5 here, the day of the weekday? (so Friday)

What is the difference between 'Average' and 'AverageTrueRange'?
Condition1 = (Close[0]-Close[1]) / AverageTrueRange[200](close)

Thanks

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - Tryst - 2014-02-03

Hi Isatrader,

just getting some screeners coded and going through the manual and some online help. It looks like this could be very interesting tool to add to the armour. Got a good few ideas in my mind I want to try out and see if they are possible to code.

With your code you have posted above, so I understand things better, I have some questions..

what is the following line of code doing

c3 = Average[10](Close[0]) > Average[10](Close[1])

The first part is todays close, but what is it doing with the 10 day average. Is it saying if the 10 day average closing price is greater than the 10 day average closing price until yesterday?

When you do a calculation like this, is the fact that you have the previous days close (Close[1]) with Average[10] saying that you want the 10 day average closing price up until yesterday's close? So the 10 day average shifts down a day? (so if we had Average[10](Close[2]) Average[10] would shift down another day?)

With the following line of code...
c4 = Close > 5

What is the difference between 'Average' and 'AverageTrueRange'?

Thanks

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - isatrader - 2014-02-03

(2014-02-03, 12:33 AM)Tryst Wrote: When you do a calculation like this, is the fact that you have the previous days close (Close[1]) with Average[10] saying that you want the 10 day average closing price up until yesterday's close? So the 10 day average shifts down a day? (so if we had Average[10](Close[2]) Average[10] would shift down another day?)

The number in the Close field shifts it back by the number of days you specify. So Close[5] means five days ago, whereas Close[1] means yesterday

(2014-02-03, 12:33 AM)Tryst Wrote: With the following line of code...
c4 = Close > 5

This simply means the closing price of the stock is greater than 5. This filters out the penny stocks, which I have a separate scan for that just reverses the greater than symbol to a less than symbol i.e.

c4 = Close < 5

which then gives you only results with a price below 5.

(2014-02-03, 12:33 AM)Tryst Wrote: What is the difference between 'Average' and 'AverageTrueRange'?

Average = the price's Moving Average (MA)
Average True Range = Average True Range Indicator, and the number is the time period select and (close) is an option from the indicator, as you can use other options like high, low, open, median etc.

Condition1 = (Close[0]-Close[1]) / AverageTrueRange[200](close) is to determine which stocks get shown, as by default it will just give you the highest percentage gainers, which is no good. As as we know, we want to find the stocks that have made the biggest percentage moves relative to normal trading range. So we use the Average True Range instead to rank them, as also the scanner can only show 50 stocks, so the ATR will stop you getting all penny stocks.

(2014-02-03, 12:33 AM)Tryst Wrote: c3 = Average[10](Close[0]) > Average[10](Close[1])

This is the moving average. So I'm asking the screener to find a stock that's 10 day moving average is higher than yesterday's 10 day moving average. i.e the 10 day MA is rising.

I hope that helps and I've attached step by step explanations to each code section below

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - isatrader - 2014-02-03

(2014-02-03, 12:33 AM)Tryst Wrote: When you do a calculation like this, is the fact that you have the previous days close (Close[1]) with Average[10] saying that you want the 10 day average closing price up until yesterday's close? So the 10 day average shifts down a day? (so if we had Average[10](Close[2]) Average[10] would shift down another day?)

The number in the Close field shifts it back by the number of days you specify. So Close[5] means five days ago, whereas Close[1] means yesterday

(2014-02-03, 12:33 AM)Tryst Wrote: With the following line of code...
c4 = Close > 5

This simply means the closing price of the stock is greater than 5. This filters out the penny stocks, which I have a separate scan for that just reverses the greater than symbol to a less than symbol i.e.

c4 = Close < 5

which then gives you only results with a price below 5.

(2014-02-03, 12:33 AM)Tryst Wrote: What is the difference between 'Average' and 'AverageTrueRange'?

Average = the price's Moving Average (MA)
Average True Range = Average True Range Indicator, and the number is the time period select and (close) is an option from the indicator, as you can use other options like high, low, open, median etc.

Condition1 = (Close[0]-Close[1]) / AverageTrueRange[200](close) is to determine which stocks get shown, as by default it will just give you the highest percentage gainers, which is no good. As as we know, we want to find the stocks that have made the biggest percentage moves relative to normal trading range. So we use the Average True Range instead to rank them, as also the scanner can only show 50 stocks, so the ATR will stop you getting all penny stocks.

(2014-02-03, 12:33 AM)Tryst Wrote: c3 = Average[10](Close[0]) > Average[10](Close[1])

This is the moving average. So I'm asking the screener to find a stock that's 10 day moving average is higher than yesterday's 10 day moving average. i.e the 10 day MA is rising.

I hope that helps and I've attached step by step explanations to each code section below