Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion (/Thread-UK-Stocks-and-ETFs-Watchlist-and-Discussion)

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - isatrader - 2014-01-28

(2014-01-28, 07:50 PM)Tom Wrote: I see that your YHOO chart shows 30MA on 27th is at 33.64, however the yahoo finance page shows 30MA at 32.73. MSN money website is 33.05. Why the difference?

The investor trailing stop loss should go below the 30 week MA and the previous significant swing low, which would put it further down below the October low anyway. However, if you are using the trader method then you should sell if it falls below the 30 week MA even by a fraction. See page 196 in the book.

The reason for the difference in the 30 week MA's is that stockcharts adjusts the data for dividends and splits, whereas Yahoo finance doesn't, and I don't know what MSN does. But in a previous Q&A with Weinstein, which can be found in the blog, I asked if we should use adjusted data, and he said that we should.

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - isatrader - 2014-01-28

(2014-01-28, 07:50 PM)Tom Wrote: I see that your YHOO chart shows 30MA on 27th is at 33.64, however the yahoo finance page shows 30MA at 32.73. MSN money website is 33.05. Why the difference?

The investor trailing stop loss should go below the 30 week MA and the previous significant swing low, which would put it further down below the October low anyway. However, if you are using the trader method then you should sell if it falls below the 30 week MA even by a fraction. See page 196 in the book.

The reason for the difference in the 30 week MA's is that stockcharts adjusts the data for dividends and splits, whereas Yahoo finance doesn't, and I don't know what MSN does. But in a previous Q&A with Weinstein, which can be found in the blog, I asked if we should use adjusted data, and he said that we should.

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - Tom - 2014-01-29

(2014-01-28, 08:02 PM)isatrader Wrote:

Thank you. I did read the interview which is really helpful but it's like Stan's book that I need to read again and again to hammer it into my brain :-)

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - Tom - 2014-01-29

(2014-01-28, 08:02 PM)isatrader Wrote:

Thank you. I did read the interview which is really helpful but it's like Stan's book that I need to read again and again to hammer it into my brain :-)

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - isatrader - 2014-01-29

Here's today additions to the watchlist, and I've even marked up a few.

CMS.L, INSE.L, BKIR.L, ESG.L, CPW.L, BMY.L, XAR.L, RNWH.L

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - isatrader - 2014-01-29

Here's today additions to the watchlist, and I've even marked up a few.

CMS.L, INSE.L, BKIR.L, ESG.L, CPW.L, BMY.L, XAR.L, RNWH.L

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - Tryst - 2014-01-30

Hi, Isatrader,

I didn't know where to post this...maybe it is worth having a section 'User ideas' or something along those lines.

I know I have raised this before, and hopefully we could all get together and maybe come up with something.

What would be good is if we had a screener which would identify stocks that have put in a saucer bottom and whose price is just slowly nudging up along with the 30 week MA. I am looking for equities using the full Weinstein approach to maximise all gains, and I believe accumulating at the basing phase on new breaks higher and on the retests of the MA would provide the best opportunity for greater gains.

Look at the chart of IOF, which you have recently flagged as a stage 4 continuation, if you go back before it had a breakout and massive bull run from late 2012 to mid 2013, it had a textbook saucer bottom. I have labelled the initial breakout as '1' (not to be confused with Weinsteins stage 1). This looks to be a breakout, so i'm guessing a screener should be able to pick this up. The MA is just turning up too, so another variable to tweak the screener with.

I have then added a label 2 (twice) as the retests of the 30 week MA, again I think this shouldn't be too difficult to set a screener against as this stock is moving up with its MA after a recent saucer bottom so a bit of logic in the screener to work out whether a 30 week MA is being tested also shouldn't be to difficult

I am currently assembling a few charts that are saucer bottoming so that I can pick out common theme's so these can be factored into the screener.

(I am a software developer, so I'm quite confident I can program something once I can determine all the variables needed)

Any comments/suggestions on how we can go with creating a screener would be great.

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - Tryst - 2014-01-30

Hi, Isatrader,

I didn't know where to post this...maybe it is worth having a section 'User ideas' or something along those lines.

I know I have raised this before, and hopefully we could all get together and maybe come up with something.

What would be good is if we had a screener which would identify stocks that have put in a saucer bottom and whose price is just slowly nudging up along with the 30 week MA. I am looking for equities using the full Weinstein approach to maximise all gains, and I believe accumulating at the basing phase on new breaks higher and on the retests of the MA would provide the best opportunity for greater gains.

Look at the chart of IOF, which you have recently flagged as a stage 4 continuation, if you go back before it had a breakout and massive bull run from late 2012 to mid 2013, it had a textbook saucer bottom. I have labelled the initial breakout as '1' (not to be confused with Weinsteins stage 1). This looks to be a breakout, so i'm guessing a screener should be able to pick this up. The MA is just turning up too, so another variable to tweak the screener with.

I have then added a label 2 (twice) as the retests of the 30 week MA, again I think this shouldn't be too difficult to set a screener against as this stock is moving up with its MA after a recent saucer bottom so a bit of logic in the screener to work out whether a 30 week MA is being tested also shouldn't be to difficult

I am currently assembling a few charts that are saucer bottoming so that I can pick out common theme's so these can be factored into the screener.

(I am a software developer, so I'm quite confident I can program something once I can determine all the variables needed)

Any comments/suggestions on how we can go with creating a screener would be great.