Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion (/Thread-UK-Stocks-and-ETFs-Watchlist-and-Discussion)

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - kero - 2016-08-01

(2016-07-31, 10:15 PM)pcabc Wrote: I've found that myself. Some limited sector data on Yahoo but but it is fragmentary or dead. For US there are the SPDR sector ETFs and for Europe the Stoxx 600 sector ETFs. But for the UK there is little, I can't find an EFT for each sector.

Why do you uses ETF ? In PRT you can work directly on the original Stoxx Europe 600 sector indices.

Also note: the Stoxx Europe 600 Sectors are in fact equivalent of the ICB-"Supersector" level (19 supersectors). In ProRealTime you can also find the Stoxx Europe TM indices for the ICB-Sectors (41 Sectors IIRC), which gives you a better insight.

Here are the codes if you want to have a look in PRT (in each line, the first number is the ICB-sectorization, the last code is the mnemo of the corresponding Stoxx Europe TM indice):
0530 Oil & Gas Producers T0530P
0570 Oil Equipment, Services and Distribution T0570P
0580 Alternative Energy T0580P
1350 Chemicals BCHP
1730 Forestry & Paper SIPFRP
1750 Industrial Metals & Mining T1750P
1770 Mining T1770P
2350 Construction & Materials BCNP
2710 Aerospace & Defense SXPARO
2720 General Industrials T2720P
2730 Electronic & Electrical Equipment T2730P
2750 Industrial Engineering SXPIEQ
2770 Industrial Transportation SIPTRA
2790 Support Services SXPSVC
3350 Automobile & Parts BATP
3530 Beverages SIPBVG
3570 Food Producers SXPFOA
3720 Household Goods & Home Construction T3720P
3740 Leisure Goods T3740P
3760 Personal Goods T3760P
3780 Tobacco SXPTOB
4530 Health Care Equipment & Services T4530P
4570 Pharmaceuticals & Biotechnology T4570P
5330 Food & Drug Retailers T5330P
5370 General Retailers T5370P
5500 Media BMDP
5750 Travel & Leisure T5700P
6530 Fixed Line Telecommunications SIPFTS
6570 Mobile Telecommunications SIPCTS
7530 Electricity SXPELC
7570 Gas, Water & Multi-utilities T7570P
8350 Banks BBAP
8530 Nonlife insurance T8530P
8570 Life Insurance T8570P
8630 Real Estate Investment & Services T8630P
8670 Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITS) T8670P
8770 Financial Services (General Financials) T8770P
8980 Equity Investment Instruments ?
8990 Nonequity Investment Instruments ?
9530 Software & Computer Services T9530P
9570 Technology Hardware & Equipment T9570P

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - Smellypunks - 2016-08-01

(2016-08-01, 02:25 PM)kero Wrote:
(2016-07-31, 10:15 PM)pcabc Wrote: I've found that myself. Some limited sector data on Yahoo but but it is fragmentary or dead. For US there are the SPDR sector ETFs and for Europe the Stoxx 600 sector ETFs. But for the UK there is little, I can't find an EFT for each sector.

Why do you uses ETF ? In PRT you can work directly on the original Stoxx Europe 600 sector indices.

Also note: the Stoxx Europe 600 Sectors are in fact equivalent of the ICB-"Supersector" level (19 supersectors). In ProRealTime you can also find the Stoxx Europe TM indices for the ICB-Sectors (41 Sectors IIRC), which gives you a better insight.

Here are the codes if you want to have a look in PRT (in each line, the first number is the ICB-sectorization, the last code is the mnemo of the corresponding Stoxx Europe TM indice):

Do you know where one can get the FTSE sub-sector charts?

For example Mining is good but the five sub-sectors (Coal, Diamonds & Gemstones, General Mining, Gold Mining, Platinum & Precious Metals) would be better.

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - kero - 2016-08-01

Nope, sorry. But I must say, I never searched, because I don't trade on UK market.

Maybee you can explore if the Stoxx Europe TM indices are good enough for you. I have the same problem on French market, for which I cannot find something really good for the sectors (there are some but not others, for some of them I can't find quotes for the last months...).

That's why I use Stoxx Europe series (which include France, UK...).It is true that they are broader, but that can also be an advantage. On the French sector indices, for example, I noticed that there is a such limited number of stocks, that just some (or just one) big stocks are overweighted in the indice and can "mask" the general move. On the other hand, Europe can be seen as a broad market - not so differently from what we have for United States. Just watch at banks, insurance, oil&gas stocks...

For now, I find that using Stoxx indices gives me quite good results.

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - pcabc - 2016-08-01

(2016-08-01, 02:25 PM)kero Wrote: Why do you uses ETF ? In PRT you can work directly on the original Stoxx Europe 600 sector indices.

Thanks for the list. I don't use prorealtime. I prefer using my own database, but I can only put a sample of stocks in it. I may look at stockcharts again or perhaps prorealtime. I think with the latter I had some java issue causing a problem.

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - kero - 2016-08-02

(2016-08-01, 10:54 PM)pcabc Wrote:
(2016-08-01, 02:25 PM)kero Wrote: Why do you uses ETF ? In PRT you can work directly on the original Stoxx Europe 600 sector indices.

Thanks for the list. I don't use prorealtime. I prefer using my own database, but I can only put a sample of stocks in it. I may look at stockcharts again or perhaps prorealtime. I think with the latter I had some java issue causing a problem.

You have your own database ? I'd be curious to know what kind of software you use.

For Java, are you using Linux ? In this case, PRT only works fine with Oracle's native version of Java.

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - isatrader - 2016-08-02

A few Stage 2A breakout attempts - HUR.L, FXPO.L, MTFB.L

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - pcabc - 2016-08-03

(2016-08-02, 12:12 AM)kero Wrote: You have your own database ? I'd be curious to know what kind of software you use.
Python, PHP and Mariadb. I produced a database to record my stock positions as a spreadsheet seemed a little clumsy. Then I thought it would be useful for it to fetch the prices automatically using python. Then, as I had the data and was just reading stage analysis it seemed logical to add charts. Then I added some screening functions. It all sort of snowballed. It suits my mindset and it means I've had to learn the market breadth stuff etc. However, it is not for everyone and has consumed a lot of time.

Quote:For Java, are you using Linux ? In this case, PRT only works fine with Oracle's native version of Java.

I seemed to have no luck with Oracles or other. Also I was rather alarmed by the number of security issues that seem to appear. Moot anyway as java and other scripting plugins are deprecated:
https://blogs.oracle.com/java-platform-group/entry/moving_to_a_plugin_free

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - kero - 2016-08-04

Interesting ! I answer you by PM.