Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: UK Stocks and ETFs - Watchlist and Discussion (/Thread-UK-Stocks-and-ETFs-Watchlist-and-Discussion)

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - shaunattwood - 2016-07-23

AZN.L with takeover possibility due to cheap £ v $

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - pcabc - 2016-07-27

Some ones for the UK watchlist or breaking out. Disclosure, I have a position in PHPT.L.

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - isatrader - 2016-07-28

JE.L - Stage 2 breakout attempt to new highs on strong relative volume

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - Smellypunks - 2016-07-28

pcabc has mentioned IMI. Also in the industrial engineering sector and looking interesting are:- TPG and GDWN

(2016-07-28, 02:01 PM)isatrader Wrote: JE.L - Stage 2 breakout attempt to new highs on strong relative volume
isatrader JE looks good but sector I am not so sure on.

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - pcabc - 2016-07-30

REM.L:

MA has just moved from down to up in this move. I'd be tempted to buy now but I expect someone will point out this is the start of a stage 1 rather than 2!

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - isatrader - 2016-07-30

(2016-07-28, 06:23 PM)Smellypunks Wrote: isatrader JE looks good but sector I am not so sure on.

The sector is an important part of the method, especially for finding the A+ candidates (gold stocks were a good example of this early in the year), but it is always a secondary consideration for a lot of stocks, as often a stock doesn't fit into a traditional sector like JE.L doesn't, as imo it's creating it's own new niche in the market which the Financial Times has named "foodtech", which may become a new sub sector over time, as other competitors come to market like hungryhouse (i.e. Delivery Hero), Takeaway.com, Deliveroo etc.

So the sector charts aren't always as relevant, and in those cases it's more important to do direct competitor analysis versus other stocks in the same line of business. And if, as in this case, they haven't come to market yet, then you've only got the individual stock chart to rely on. And as you know, it's then down to the four key components of the method. i.e. Price Action, Volume, Relative Performance, and Resistance. See Stage Analysis Breakout Quality Checklist thread for a quick guide of these critical components.

I hope that helps

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - Smellypunks - 2016-07-31

(2016-07-30, 10:25 PM)isatrader Wrote:
(2016-07-28, 06:23 PM)Smellypunks Wrote: isatrader JE looks good but sector I am not so sure on.

The sector is an important part of the method, especially for finding the A+ candidates (gold stocks were a good example of this early in the year), but it is always a secondary consideration for a lot of stocks, as often a stock doesn't fit into a traditional sector like JE.L doesn't, as imo it's creating it's own new niche in the market which the Financial Times has named "foodtech", which may become a new sub sector over time, as other competitors come to market like hungryhouse (i.e. Delivery Hero), Takeaway.com, Deliveroo etc.

So the sector charts aren't always as relevant, and in those cases it's more important to do direct competitor analysis versus other stocks in the same line of business. And if, as in this case, they haven't come to market yet, then you've only got the individual stock chart to rely on. And as you know, it's then down to the four key components of the method. i.e. Price Action, Volume, Relative Performance, and Resistance. See Stage Analysis Breakout Quality Checklist thread for a quick guide of these critical components.

I hope that helps

Yes an interesting point. I have for a while thought that the UK sectors are not broken down enough unlike the US, and I have struggled to find FTSE sub-sector charts.

Now General Retailers is split into subsectors:-
5371 Apparel Retailers
5373 Broadline Retailers
5375 Home Improvement Retailers
5377 Specialized Consumer Services
5379 Specialty Retailers

Just eat is in 'Specialized Consumer Services'. So Just eat is in a sector with AA, Auto Trader, CVS, Dignity and Saga. But does it fit? or should the be a foodtech sector as you say.

I have had the same problem with ASOS (General Retailers - Apparel Retailers) and Rightmove (Media, Media Agencies). Surely these companies are more tech than anything else.

RE: UK Stocks - Watchlist and Discussion - pcabc - 2016-07-31

(2016-07-31, 02:18 PM)Smellypunks Wrote: Yes an interesting point. I have for a while thought that the UK sectors are not broken down enough unlike the US, and I have struggled to find FTSE sub-sector charts.

I've found that myself. Some limited sector data on Yahoo but but it is fragmentary or dead. For US there are the SPDR sector ETFs and for Europe the Stoxx 600 sector ETFs. But for the UK there is little, I can't find an EFT for each sector.