Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions (/Thread-Stage-Analysis-Beginners-Questions)

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2019-06-09

(2019-06-08, 07:36 PM)moneymaker Wrote: Hi everyone,

I'm using tradingview.com for my charts and I've noticed something odd with the moving averages.

When I change the viewing range, it seems like the moving average changes but it shouldn't.

For example, look at these images:

In the second image (6 months range), the MA(150) closely follows the SP between February and May. When I change the viewing range to 1 year, the moving average changes and doesn't follow the same distribution anymore. All I did between the second and first image was switch the viewing range from 6 months to 1 year.

This is odd, right?

I've had a look at the charts on there and you are correct in that the moving average changes on some of the different time frames and looks like a bug in their software. So I'd recommend that you report it to their website administrators as a bug to try and get it fixed, if that's the software that you choose to use for your charts.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - pcabc - 2019-06-09

(2019-06-09, 06:07 PM)isatrader Wrote:
(2019-06-08, 07:36 PM)moneymaker Wrote: Hi everyone,

I'm using tradingview.com for my charts and I've noticed something odd with the moving averages.

When I change the viewing range, it seems like the moving average changes but it shouldn't.

For example, look at these images:

In the second image (6 months range), the MA(150) closely follows the SP between February and May. When I change the viewing range to 1 year, the moving average changes and doesn't follow the same distribution anymore. All I did between the second and first image was switch the viewing range from 6 months to 1 year.

This is odd, right?

I've had a look at the charts on there and you are correct in that the moving average changes on some of the different time frames and looks like a bug in their software. So I'd recommend that you report it to their website administrators as a bug to try and get it fixed, if that's the software that you choose to use for your charts.
I concur, it looks like the MA on the 6 month period chart is a bit faster than a 50 day MA, rather than the 150 day MA indicated.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - moneymaker - 2019-06-10

Thank you both.

Mark Minervini interview - isatrader - 2019-06-10

Another interesting Mark Minervini interview: http://www.minervini.com/traders_edge.pdf

RE: Mark Minervini interview - pcabc - 2019-06-12

(2019-06-10, 10:58 PM)isatrader Wrote: Another interesting Mark Minervini interview: http://www.minervini.com/traders_edge.pdf

Useful snippet, in part of the reply to How did you system perform i the recent bear market?

...However, in a whipsaw environment, the risk in using relatively tight stops is getting repeatedly stopped-out and suffering a  large loss as a result of a bunch of small losses.  We have seen big gains lately in the US stock mark...

This was what was getting me when I was only buying when market breadth was at the top.

Applying stage analysis to a monthly chart - malaguti - 2019-06-16

Has anyone looked at applying stage analysis to monthly charts?
I want to create a strategy that trades off monthly..each month i want to put money into something and ideally i'd like to apply the same principles. the problem i'm finding however is its not so easy as pullbacks are less common/less pronounced

in theory, given the price action is less pronounced, you'd think it was easier...
any thoughts welcome?

RE: Applying stage analysis to a monthly chart - isatrader - 2019-06-16

(2019-06-16, 05:29 PM)malaguti Wrote: Has anyone looked at applying stage analysis to monthly charts?
I want to create a strategy that trades off monthly..each month i want to put money into something and ideally i'd like to apply the same principles. the problem i'm finding however is its not so easy as pullbacks are less common/less pronounced

in theory, given the price action is less pronounced, you'd think it was easier...
any thoughts welcome?

I use identical chart settings for the Monthly as I do for the Weekly.

I think you'll find that you'd be getting into more new highs than pullbacks when using Monthly charts, which is not a bad thing, as you are getting into something already in a weekly Stage 2 at that point.

RE: Applying stage analysis to a monthly chart - malaguti - 2019-06-16

(2019-06-16, 05:41 PM)isatrader Wrote:
(2019-06-16, 05:29 PM)malaguti Wrote: Has anyone looked at applying stage analysis to monthly charts?

any thoughts welcome?

I use identical chart settings for the Monthly as I do for the Weekly.

I think you'll find that you'd be getting into more new highs than pullbacks when using Monthly charts, which is not a bad thing, as you are getting into something already in a weekly Stage 2 at that point.
i was kind of hoping you wouldn't say that Smile
a stage 4 is so late waiting for a 30sma MA to move down. do you perhaps apply the trader method therefore the 10sma?
and just to confirm, you would not have entered until 2012 as per the attached