Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions (/Thread-Stage-Analysis-Beginners-Questions)

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2018-08-09

(2018-08-09, 08:13 PM)arkyuan Wrote: Hi Isatrader,
   Just want to clarify with you, the watchlist thread was created base on the daily P&F breakouts/breakdown thread? What are the conditions to be on the watchlist thread? 
thanks,
Ark,

No, it's nothing to do with the daily P&F breakouts/breakdown thread. It's a completely separate thread where anyone can post stocks that they think might be worth following / setting alerts on, based on the stocks behaviour to date, in that it meets some or all of the trader or investor methods criteria. As it's up to everyone to research the stocks fully themselves, if they are interested in them. Occasionally, a stock might be near or at decent entry point when it's posted, but the vast majority aren't, and hence are added to the watchlist so that we can monitor their behaviour over the coming months, and be ready if they form a low risk entry point in future, and still show the kind of behaviour that we are looking for.

I post the most charts, as it's my personal website, and not a general forum like t2w. I've just set it up that way so that it is easy for me to talk to other traders that are trading in the same way, using Stan Weinstein's method, or any variation of it.

The charts I post go on my watchlist and I set up alerts at levels that I'd be potentially interesed in them. And then if any trigger that level and meet the strict requirements then I'll to possibly trade them if the opportunity cost allows, and my money management rules are met. But as you will see if you read my trading journal in the Members Thread section. Not many do. I find that Stage Analysis keeps you out of the market during choppy or down times, and gets you full invested during the brief strong periods. You just have to learn the patience needed to only trade when the market is with you. As when it is, the setups are plentiful. But when it's not, there's not many, and the quality of setups is low, and you'll see many false breakouts, and increased volatility. So the key imo, is to learn how to identify the best periods. And in Weinsteins method, that's using the market breadth indicators to calculate the 'Weight of Evidence'.

I hope that helps.

RE: Beginners Questions - diaz - 2018-08-10

(2018-08-09, 08:38 PM)isatrader Wrote:
(2018-08-09, 08:13 PM)arkyuan Wrote: Hi Isatrader,
   Just want to clarify with you, the watchlist thread was created base on the daily P&F breakouts/breakdown thread? What are the conditions to be on the watchlist thread? 
thanks,
Ark,

No, it's nothing to do with the daily P&F breakouts/breakdown thread. It's a completely separate thread where anyone can post stocks that they think might be worth following / setting alerts on, based on the stocks behaviour to date, in that it meets some or all of the trader or investor methods criteria. As it's up to everyone to research the stocks fully themselves, if they are interested in them. Occasionally, a stock might be near or at decent entry point when it's posted, but the vast majority aren't, and hence are added to the watchlist so that we can monitor their behaviour over the coming months, and be ready if they form a low risk entry point in future, and still show the kind of behaviour that we are looking for.

I post the most charts, as it's my personal website, and not a general forum like t2w. I've just set it up that way so that it is easy for me to talk to other traders that are trading in the same way, using Stan Weinstein's method, or any variation of it.

The charts I post go on my watchlist and I set up alerts at levels that I'd be potentially interesed in them. And then if any trigger that level and meet the strict requirements then I'll to possibly trade them if the opportunity cost allows, and my money management rules are met. But as you will see if you read my trading journal in the Members Thread section. Not many do. I find that Stage Analysis keeps you out of the market during choppy or down times, and gets you full invested during the brief strong periods. You just have to learn the patience needed to only trade when the market is with you. As when it is, the setups are plentiful. But when it's not, there's not many, and the quality of setups is low, and you'll see many false breakouts, and increased volatility. So the key imo, is to learn how to identify the best periods. And in Weinsteins method, that's using the market breadth indicators to calculate the 'Weight of Evidence'.

I hope that helps.

Hi Isa,
Would it be a correct approach for short term market overview to take the P&F breakouts and see which sector/industry are having the most breakouts? I've done this for roughly one months lists and see that a few sectors/industries have more breakouts than others. I have just started to search on new investments after cashing out some previous positions. Thanks.

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2018-08-10

(2018-08-10, 01:46 PM)diaz Wrote: Hi Isa,
Would it be a correct approach for short term market overview to take the P&F breakouts and see which sector/industry are having the most breakouts? I've done this for roughly one months lists and see that a few sectors/industries have more breakouts than others. I have just started to search on new investments after cashing out some previous positions. Thanks.

It sounds like a good strategy to me and is something I've thought about previously. Have just not got round to doing it, as never have enough time. But will definitely shouw you areas of strength, and then you can drill down and do further analysis on those sectors to see if any meet the requirements that you are looking for.

RE: Beginners Questions - Reece Webb - 2018-08-13

Hi there everyone, im new to this forum and brand new to the stock market too, i have been reading stans book over the last few weeks. Im 18 years old and hoping to financially secure my self in the stock market in the future, of course i am expecting the losses that every trader encounters and i have proven this on a demo account that i have been using for a few months now (which i have had considerably more losses than gains). Im very intrigued to learn everything there is to know, however to start off i just want to ask quite a bulk of questions if someone is willing to answer them and help me out.

Questions i would like to know:

1) How can i actually see a market trend ?

2) How do i work out profit/ earnings ?

3) When a stock breaks what moving average is the best ? (Eg is it when a stock breaks a 30 day ?)

4) Is an advance-decline line needed & how can i construct one with uk.tradingview.com ?

5) How can i calculate momentum index

6) Do i need high-low differentials

7) How can i construct Mansfield charts with uk.tradingview.com ?

8) How can i construct resistance and support lines ?

9) How do i actually know if the stock that i am trading is in a positive group or negative ?

10) What broker is the best for me to start out with ?

I would really appreciate it if someone took there time to answer these questions, im looking to thrive in the stock market and would love it if i could get some help on the way.

Many thanks
Reece Webb

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2018-08-15

Hi Reece, welcome to the site and your stock market journey too.
There's quite a few questions there. So I'll try and answer some for you in the coming days, as I don't have enough time at the moment.

RE: Beginners Questions - Reece Webb - 2018-08-15

(2018-08-15, 08:01 AM)isatrader Wrote: Hi Reece, welcome to the site and your stock market journey too.
There's quite a few questions there. So I'll try and answer some for you in the coming days, as I don't have enough time at the moment.

Thank you for the warm welcoming, thats fine i know you have other things to do, i just want some clarification before i enter the real deal of the stock market.

Once i have this, im going to start a journal on your forums so that i can keep track of what i am doing right and what im doing wrong and hopefully become a successful stock market trader/ investor.

Many thanks once again.

RE: Beginners Questions - arkyuan - 2018-08-15

Hi Guys,
I want to ask about VRAY. As it shows up on the watchlist few weeks ago. I looked at the technical and it looks like a good stock. It breakout all resistance on July 25 with outstanding volume and the volume contracted. I was thinking enter it on July 31 when the price was 12$ or 11.50$ when it start to rise again but then, it went downhill. I was wondering what is the mistake I made here? should I wait a bit longer?
thanks,
ark,

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2018-08-15

(2018-08-15, 07:18 PM)arkyuan Wrote: Hi Guys,
  I want to ask about VRAY. As it shows up on the watchlist few weeks ago. I looked at the technical and it looks like a good stock. It breakout all resistance on July 25 with outstanding volume and the volume contracted. I was thinking enter it on July 31 when the price was 12$ or 11.50$ when it start to rise again but then, it went downhill. I was wondering what is the mistake I made here? should I wait a bit longer?
thanks,
ark,

Simply at $12 it had already moved 81% in just four weeks. The entry point needs to be significantly closer to at least the most recent support, so that your risk reward based on where the stop loss should go has the potential to be at least 1:3 Risk:Reward. So don't try to chase, as even an normal pullback from a swing high is anything up to half of the previous move, so in this stocks case that was a pullback to around $10. And even though the volume has been lower than a few weeks back at the very top on the pullback, it is still significantly higher than the weekly average volume in general, as it has been over 2x the average weekly volume for the last two weeks. So again you'd only want to see it with around average volume or less on a pullback, not 2x.

With breakouts try to look for volatility contraction patterns (VCP) imo, or a cup and handle type pattern, as they are much safer for entries. As remember what you could lose should always be your first consideration in any trade, not what you might win. Lose small always.

I hope that helps.