Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions (/Thread-Stage-Analysis-Beginners-Questions)

RE: Beginners Questions - badcharts - 2018-03-11

Hi,

Was asking myself the same question. Found the info on pages 14-15. pull back close to breakout or breakdown line with low volume is perfect time to add position.

Will remember now!

Regards,

Patrick

(2016-08-22, 06:06 PM)Smellypunks Wrote:
(2016-08-03, 06:16 PM)Smellypunks Wrote: Can anyone give advice on buying the point B pull back. If I remember correctly Stan talked about buying the pull back towards the breakout or 30 week ave. I don't like to watch the market but like to set orders. I have set orders for the breakout price a number of times and they have not been filled. So I am not sure the best way to set my orders for the point B (as Stan called it). Example shows stock that I am thinking to enter but not sure where to put my order. I would like to put it at 109 (breakout price) which gives 11% downside risk IMO, but feel again I will miss the stock.

Just as an update on GTLY. Using the 2 hour chart it came back and almost touched the breakout (perfect). I missed it, as was on holiday and not watch the stock but Stan's idea was sound.

Overhead Resistance - How Close Is Too Close? - Red Barron - 2018-03-14

For example, imagine a Stage 1 stock that has crossed above the 30 WMA and is about to breakout from its trading channel, however, there is a resistance line above the upper border of the channel. What constitutes overhead resistance as being too close to initiate a buy upon a breakout? If it is closer than 5%, 10%, 15% above the channel? Or should we use a dollar amount, such as $0.25, $0.50, $1, $2, etc.?

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2018-03-14

(2018-03-14, 07:59 AM)Red Barron Wrote: For example, imagine a Stage 1 stock that has crossed above the 30 WMA and is about to breakout from its trading channel, however, there is a resistance line above the upper border of the channel. What constitutes overhead resistance as being too close to initiate a buy upon a breakout? If it is closer than 5%, 10%, 15% above the channel? Or should we use a dollar amount, such as $0.25, $0.50, $1, $2, etc.?

Personally, I find the weekly ichimoku cloud the best tool for this, as you can immediately see if a stock has overhead resistance to work through still. So I tend to never buy a stock that isn’t above its weekly cloud.

RE: Beginners Questions - Red Barron - 2018-03-14

Would that be the same as the price being above the Kijun line of the Ichimoku indicator? Or is "the cloud" defined as the shaded area between the two Senkou lines?

RE: Beginners Questions - badcharts - 2018-03-14

Hi!

What, a cloud? Will it rain? I can't believe I learn stuff everyday!

What are your settings for the Ichimoku Cloud? Will ramp up and play around with that.

Regards,

Patrick

(2018-03-14, 01:00 PM)isatrader Wrote:
(2018-03-14, 07:59 AM)Red Barron Wrote: For example, imagine a Stage 1 stock that has crossed above the 30 WMA and is about to breakout from its trading channel, however, there is a resistance line above the upper border of the channel. What constitutes overhead resistance as being too close to initiate a buy upon a breakout? If it is closer than 5%, 10%, 15% above the channel? Or should we use a dollar amount, such as $0.25, $0.50, $1, $2, etc.?

Personally, I find the weekly ichimoku cloud the best tool for this, as you can immediately see if a stock has overhead resistance to work through still. So I tend to never buy a stock that isn’t above its weekly cloud.

RE: Beginners Questions - badcharts - 2018-03-15

Hi,

Read up on the Ichimoku clouds. Probably need to read even more! Anyhow, trying out the cloud in my latest run of stage analysis videos (march 15th 9:00 EST).[/b]

Let me know what you think if you get a chance to watch!

Regards,

Patrick

(2018-03-14, 04:56 PM)badcharts Wrote: Hi!

What, a cloud? Will it rain? I can't believe I learn stuff everyday!

What are your settings for the Ichimoku Cloud? Will ramp up and play around with that.

Regards,

Patrick

(2018-03-14, 01:00 PM)isatrader Wrote:

[b]

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2018-03-15

(2018-03-14, 04:09 PM)Red Barron Wrote: Would that be the same as the price being above the Kijun line of the Ichimoku indicator? Or is "the cloud" defined as the shaded area between the two Senkou lines?

The cloud is the shaded area. I just use its standard settings on a weekly chart only and turn off everything other than the cloud part. As I just use it for quick visual guide of the longer term resistance zones.

RE: Beginners Questions - badcharts - 2018-03-16

Hi,

Seems to work great. I like it!

Thanks,

Patrick

(2018-03-15, 04:45 PM)isatrader Wrote:
(2018-03-14, 04:09 PM)Red Barron Wrote: Would that be the same as the price being above the Kijun line of the Ichimoku indicator? Or is "the cloud" defined as the shaded area between the two Senkou lines?

The cloud is the shaded area. I just use its standard settings on a weekly chart only and turn off everything other than the cloud part. As I just use it for quick visual guide of the longer term resistance zones.