Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions (/Thread-Stage-Analysis-Beginners-Questions)

RE: Beginners Questions - Smellypunks - 2016-10-09

(2016-10-08, 08:26 PM)isatrader Wrote:
(2016-10-08, 06:54 PM)Geester Wrote: Hello there,

When I set up a chart in the software I am looking up, I get different responses to the price relative to its 30 weeks MA, based on the period I choose, ie., 1yr, 2yrs, 3yrs, 5yrs, 10yrs etc.,

For example, when I look at LON:NTG with a 1yr chart, the price is above the MA (which is also improving).

If I look at any longer period, say, 2-3-5-10yrs, the MA is above the price.

In this case, what is the ideal period to look at? Should this even be happening?

Obviously, looking at the last 1yr of data, the MA is lower than price but which is reliable given that anything longer than 1yr says the opposite?

Cheers and thanks.

No, that's not right at all. The MA should be the same whatever timescale you choose, so there's obviously a problem with the software you are using.

I have notice that on my software the 150 on the daily and the 30 on the weekly are not aligning. See examples below 155 and 154, some times there is a bigger difference than this.

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2016-10-09

(2016-10-09, 12:22 AM)Smellypunks Wrote: I have notice that on my software the 150 on the daily and the 30 on the weekly are not aligning. See examples below 155 and 154, some times there is a bigger difference than this.

The 30 week and 150 day MA are different MAs. So they will be different. As daily MAs have much more data points to create the average than the weekly, so there's always a difference between those, but they are the closest equivalents to each other on those timescales.

I don't think that's what the previous question was about, as he was getting different MA amounts on the same chart depending on what chart length he set. So hence, a software problem of not using all the data for all lengths of time I think.

RE: Beginners Questions - Geester - 2016-10-10

LSE:AVON

Despite having had a very good run for a long time, this share looks like it can just keep on going. The 30w MA has turned up and it looks OK relative to the FTSE All-Share.

Do you concur? Is there anything that I am missing that would suggest this is not a reasonable buy?

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2016-10-10

(2016-10-10, 09:46 PM)Geester Wrote: LSE:AVON

Despite having had a very good run for a long time, this share looks like it can just keep on going. The 30w MA has turned up and it looks OK relative to the FTSE All-Share.

Do you concur? Is there anything that I am missing that would suggest this is not a reasonable buy?

In terms of the method it made a new Stage 2A breakout 5 weeks ago, and started to lose a bit of the initial momentum from the breakout last week, and is consolidating a bit. So it would be on watch for the pullback Stage 2 secondry B entry point if you were following the investor method strictly, but it could also grind higher with a fresh breakout from the small consolidation ( see a lower timescale like the 2 hour chart). But the risk would be considerably higher using the methods trader or investor stop losses here, as it's very extended from them, and so that would be a consideration, as the first thing to work out with any trade is what you are prepared to lose and also what you could lose if things go wrong, and if the risk is too high then it's not the right entry point. So my opinion is to always work that out first and then decide if it breaks any of the fundamental rules of the method.

Also the method recommends a 1/3 risk reward ratio too, so that something else to consider. I always try to do full due dilligence on a stock to come up with all the negative things I can find and well as the good things, and if the positives outweigh the negatives clearly then it's worth considering.

So minimise your loses above all else, and then the winners will make a much bigger difference to your account size.

RE: Beginners Questions - Geester - 2016-10-10

Thank you very much isatrader for your very thorough review and consideration. I really appreciate your time and opinion! Smile

RE: Beginners Questions - Smellypunks - 2016-10-11

I thought for future reference it might be good to have some 1 hour and 2 hour charts of Sound's (SOU.L) blistering bull run. I know my chart provider dumps the 1 hour chart data every few months. Also added the daily chart for overview.

RE: Beginners Questions - Smellypunks - 2016-10-12

CNA - Are you guys viewing this as a pure stage 1 or as a stage 2 that looks like it could be heading back into a stage 1? It is worth noting the volume is highest on down weeks.

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2016-10-12

(2016-10-12, 12:31 PM)Smellypunks Wrote: CNA - Are you guys viewing this as a pure stage 1 or as a stage 2 that looks like it could be heading back into a stage 1? It is worth noting the volume is highest on down weeks.

CNA.L is still in Stage 1, as the Stage 2 breakout attempt in July failed.