Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions (/Thread-Stage-Analysis-Beginners-Questions)

RE: Beginners Questions - mongoose1969 - 2015-12-01

Isatrader,

I just re-read the expectation of setting it up as is but creating the weekly chart and misunderstood. This makes more sense now. I set up the screen as weekly instead of daily. Now I get it. Continuing to learn...

RE: Beginners Questions - Lplate - 2016-01-15

(2013-04-07, 01:13 PM)isatrader Wrote:
(2013-04-07, 09:06 AM)Sapphire Wrote: Is there a software where one can automatically pull picks based on a predefined range. I see a lot of sites where you can do this on specific crossover events. Is that possible with the Weinstein method?

There isn't any software capable of identifying the Stages accurately as it requires a number of discretionary elements, as you will find as you learn more about identifying the Stages. You can however, set up scans in various software programs to filter out a lot of the stocks that aren't suitable and then manually look though the remaining stocks to pick out the candidates that are making the right moves.

I like to use point and figure double top and double bottom breakouts on Stockcharts.com scanner, as this gives all of the breakouts and breakdowns each day, and then I scan through for anything suitable. Another site, Chartmill.com, has it's own method of defining ranges, which can also be used effectively, as you can look for stocks close to the top or bottom of their ranges using their scanner and then manually search the scan results for the Weinstein method candidates.

Another simple, but easy to find option is 52 week highs and lows. Barchart.com has these and you can again scan through these manually to find the best picks.

Because identifying the Stages can't be automated, that's one of the reasons for this site, as through collaboration of the members, I hope in time that we can highlight the majority of the Weinstein method candidates ahead of time in the Trader and Investor method watchlist threads.

isatrader
You are right we should not rely wholly upon a scanner, and of course it is an excellent job you do to spend hours on end running your own scans and then studying the results to highlight and interpret the best candidates for us.
Nevertheless, even though the scanner could be simplistic, I suppose it is just interesting to see what it comes up with, especially if the scan result lets you immediately see some sort of chart (such as finviz does if you hover over the symbol I look at finviz very occasionally because it lets you filter out some candidates by some fundamental criteria. If you are shorting a company, then it is also good to know that poor fundamentals are on your side.

I Thanks very much Acom for putting the link to this scanner http://screener.nextbigtrade.com/#/sectors I'd never heard of it.
as under Sectors you can choose "FTSE" and some charts immediately appear
Does anyone have any thoughts on how best to use it? Is it as simple as saying, in a general stockmarket which has gone into stage 4, searching
Stage 4,
1 week, vols 1, 2 and 3 descending,
Zoom your screen to 175% or 200%
Look down the top 7 chart pictures for likely candidates
clicking on W for Stockcharts Weekly candle chart
or Y for Yahoo Daily line chart
Then amending the charts, then studying it

Hey, wouldn't it be good if those links led to a customised chart design !!?

Is 2 weeks better maybe,
or Stage 3 4 weeks maybe, for imminent Stage 4 breakdowns?
Thanks for any thoughts

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2016-01-15

(2016-01-15, 09:34 AM)Lplate Wrote: isatrader
You are right we should not rely wholly upon a scanner, and of course it is an excellent job you do to spend hours on end running your own scans and then studying the results to highlight and interpret the best candidates for us.
Nevertheless, even though the scanner could be simplistic, I suppose it is just interesting to see what it comes up with, especially if the scan result lets you immediately see some sort of chart (such as finviz does if you hover over the symbol I look at finviz very occasionally because it lets you filter out some candidates by some fundamental criteria. If you are shorting a company, then it is also good to know that poor fundamentals are on your side.

I Thanks very much Acom for putting the link to this scanner http://screener.nextbigtrade.com/#/sectors I'd never heard of it.
as under Sectors you can choose "FTSE" and some charts immediately appear
Does anyone have any thoughts on how best to use it? Is it as simple as saying, in a general stockmarket which has gone into stage 4, searching
Stage 4,
1 week, vols 1, 2 and 3 descending,
Zoom your screen to 175% or 200%
Look down the top 7 chart pictures for likely candidates
clicking on W for Stockcharts Weekly candle chart
or Y for Yahoo Daily line chart
Then amending the charts, then studying it

Hey, wouldn't it be good if those links led to a customised chart design !!?

Is 2 weeks better maybe,
or Stage 3 4 weeks maybe, for imminent Stage 4 breakdowns?
Thanks for any thoughts

My issue with it is that it's too simplistic and hence wrong a lot of the time. The link you gave takes you to the 3D printers page, and the first result is ADSK which the scanner says in Stage 2 for last 9 weeks, which is very wrong, as it hasn't been in Stage 2 for over a year now.

RE: Beginners Questions - mongoose1969 - 2016-01-17

Interesting addition at Chartmill. I haven't done a screening yet but wanted to let you know it's out there. http://www.chartmill.com/documentation.php?a=1125&title=Weinstein%20stage%20analysis%20in%20chartmill&o=3

RE: Beginners Questions - Tom Dircks - 2016-03-21

isatrader,

When performing stage analysis should I use a Log Scale on my chart? I never normally use them, but it seems what is most commonly used in the book and on this forum.

Also would you recommend SMA, EMA, or WMA?

All the best

Tom

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2016-03-21

(2016-03-21, 01:30 AM)Tom Dircks Wrote: isatrader,

When performing stage analysis should I use a Log Scale on my chart? I never normally use them, but it seems what is most commonly used in the book and on this forum.

Also would you recommend SMA, EMA, or WMA?

All the best

Tom

Log scale is fairly essential imo on the weekly chart and higher in order to be able to identify Stage 1 and Stage 3 correctly, but less so on daily or intraday charts which are too short term for it to make a difference.

SMA charts is all that you need for the method.

The chart setup that I use for the examples on the site can be found in post 1 on the Stage Analysis Study Guide - Questions and Answers thread here: http://stageanalysis.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=47

Hope that helps

RE: Beginners Questions - RCHK - 2016-03-21

Hello,

Have you considered other time period MAs other than the 50 (for traders) & 150 (for investors) Stan discusses in his book? For example in his book he refers to the 30 & 40 DMAs for instruments such as the futures, commodities & mutual funds.

Markets change, shorter hold time trends, etc. Just wondering if you or other traders who use or incorporate Weinstein's work have experimented with or tested other time period MAs?

TIA

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2016-03-21

(2016-03-21, 05:29 AM)RCHK Wrote: Hello,

Have you considered other time period MAs other than the 50 (for traders) & 150 (for investors) Stan discusses in his book? For example in his book he refers to the 30 & 40 DMAs for instruments such as the futures, commodities & mutual funds.

Markets change, shorter hold time trends, etc. Just wondering if you or other traders who use or incorporate Weinstein's work have experimented with or tested other time period MAs?

TIA

I did when I began using the method, but over the years have settled on using the same settings as the weekly chart of the 10 and 30 MA, but on an intraday 2 hour chart for short term trades. As it lets you use Stage Analysis over a much shorter time frame where you can see the entire four stages over the course of a few months or so. But as a user of the investor method, I primarily use the intraday Stage Anaysis on the 2 hour chart for help with timing an entry on a longer term trade. But I think it could be used for short term trading too.

I've attached the current 2 hour chart of silver, so you can see what I mean, as it went through the entire four stages in January and February this year.