Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions (/Thread-Stage-Analysis-Beginners-Questions)

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2021-07-01

(2021-07-01, 07:27 PM)JordanBrogan Wrote: Hi all.

This might sound like a daft question, but somehow i cant hack it. 
How does everyone keep track of stocks they are watching? 
You can set alerts (T212 only allows 100) but at what point do you set them as breakout point can be too late?
Also at what point would you take a stock off your list

Hi Jordan,

I recommend limiting your focus initially to a smaller area of the market so that you can keep track of it more easily. This could be the a few specific groups. i.e. Software, Semi-conductors etc. Or only recent IPOs, or just the S&P 500 stocks, or Nasdaq 100 stocks etc. So that you can manually watch these and mark up the charts nearing your potential entry points.

Another technique to cut down the results is to only focus on one setup as well i.e. VCP base of strong stocks in the early part of Stage 2 (see Mark Minervini). This will slow down the amount of actionable setups that you get. As you don't need to trade all the time. You can literally trade only one stock at a time with a reasonable position size and risk. i.e. 12% or 18% size with a tight stop loss, and you'll likely do much better, and you can focus on the quality of setup and entry point.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - fabi470 - 2021-07-02

Hi David,

I hope you`re doing fine. 
Currently i am working on Industry Group Relative Strength Table similar to yours (104 Dow Jones Sector Industry Groups sorted by Relative Strength - Stage Analysis). 

In my opinion the most important time frames for defining the RS are the 1-week, 1-month, 3-months and the 1-year period. Do you agree (i know, everyone has a quite different view on such subjective topics)?

I am wondering how you calculate the RS of the industry groups in your Google Sheet Table (you name it "RS Score"). I guess, it is not the SCTR score from stockcharts.com, is it? If it is, how do you import the SCTR into Google Sheets? If it is NOT, do you mind to tell us, how you calculate the RS score?

I would really appreciate your answers, David!

Greetings from germany and a nice weekend!

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2021-07-04

(2021-07-02, 02:19 PM)fabi470 Wrote: Hi David,

I hope you`re doing fine. 
Currently i am working on Industry Group Relative Strength Table similar to yours (104 Dow Jones Sector Industry Groups sorted by Relative Strength - Stage Analysis). 

In my opinion the most important time frames for defining the RS are the 1-week, 1-month, 3-months and the 1-year period. Do you agree (i know, everyone has a quite different view on such subjective topics)?

I am wondering how you calculate the RS of the industry groups in your Google Sheet Table (you name it "RS Score"). I guess, it is not the SCTR score from stockcharts.com, is it? If it is, how do you import the SCTR into Google Sheets? If it is NOT, do you mind to tell us, how you calculate the RS score?

I would really appreciate your answers, David!

Greetings from germany and a nice weekend!

Hi fabi470,

Yes, I focus on similar time periods, and am looking for groups that are rising up the rankings strongly that could become future leading groups. As I want to catch the moves early enough to get in at the early part of Stage 2 or even late in Stage 1 if the base structure is forming in a favourable way for lower risk entries.

The RS score in my sheets is the SCTR score from stockcharts. I simply copy and paste this into a google sheet each week, and then on a separate sheet calculate the change for the 1 week, 2 week, 4 week and 12 week change, plus the overall score, which is longer term as the SCTR is made up from multiple things as far back as 200 days. See stockcharts website for how it is calculated.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Tryst - 2021-07-04

Hi IsaTrader, hope you are doing well

I did message something similar a few weeks back but I'm not sure you seen it, so will drop another message here. I know we have touched on this previously but wanted to get a current opinion from yourself on who the best brokers are to use in the UK if you are trading US stocks. I am looking to come away from H&L (Hargreaves Lansdown) as they don't allow me to place stop losses on trades against US stocks. Their FX charge on each trade is a bit high too, but I'd imagine I aint gonna get away from this.

I am currently looking at, and in talks with, Saxo about moving over my accounts (ISA and non-ISA) as these have said I can place stop loses on trades for US stocks and that I can also have a Sub account in an ISA that is denominated in US Dollars which will eliminate the FX charge on each trade (though I am assuming there is some FX applied on the money going in and out of the sub account based on the exchange rates at the time).

I was considering Trading 2-1-2 but heard some horrendous stories about the prices people get when placing a trade...a big no-no when considering trades each and every % placement counts if I want to determine my risk on a trade.

Do you have any notes against UK based brokers you used after previously researching who the best to use for mainly US based stocks?

Thanks

Tryst

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2021-07-04

(2021-07-04, 05:22 PM)Tryst Wrote: Hi IsaTrader, hope you are doing well

I did message something similar a few weeks back but I'm not sure you seen it, so will drop another message here. I know we have touched on this previously but wanted to get a current opinion from yourself on who the best brokers are to use in the UK if you are trading US stocks. I am looking to come away from H&L (Hargreaves Lansdown) as they don't allow me to place stop losses on trades against US stocks. Their FX charge on each trade is a bit high too, but I'd imagine I aint gonna get away from this.

I am currently looking at, and in talks with, Saxo about moving over my accounts (ISA and non-ISA) as these have said I can place stop loses on trades for US stocks and that I can also have a Sub account in an ISA that is denominated in US Dollars which will eliminate the FX charge on each trade (though I am assuming there is some FX applied on the money going in and out of the sub account based on the exchange rates at the time).

I was considering Trading 2-1-2 but heard some horrendous stories about the prices people get when placing a trade...a big no-no when considering trades each and every % placement counts if I want to determine my risk on a trade.

Do you have any notes against UK based brokers you used after previously researching who the best to use for mainly US based stocks?

Thanks

Tryst

For me I settled on Interactive Brokers as it was the only one that offered direct market access at decent pricing for US stocks. Only Degiro compared on pricing, but IB is a much better platform and offers more, and a £1,000 trade for example will cost about 37p per side commission on average and no fx fee. Whereas someone like trading212 now has 0.15% fx fee. Hence 50 trades (opening and closing with no partial positons i.e 100 total trades) would add -15% to your account from the 0.15% fx fees. So hence why I prefer a fixed non percentage fee on IB. As your fees reduce the bigger the size, compared to increasing on platforms with percentage based fees.

However, neither of these offer ISA options. So are taxable. But I decided that that would be preferable, as paying taxes means that you are making a profit.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Tryst - 2021-07-05

(2021-07-04, 08:41 PM)isatrader Wrote:
(2021-07-04, 05:22 PM)Tryst Wrote: Hi IsaTrader, hope you are doing well

Thanks

Tryst

For me I settled on Interactive Brokers as it was the only one that offered direct market access at decent pricing for US stocks. Only Degiro compared on pricing, but IB is a much better platform and offers more, and a £1,000 trade for example will cost about 37p per side commission on average and no fx fee. Whereas someone like trading212 now has 0.15% fx fee. Hence 50 trades (opening and closing with no partial positons i.e 100 total trades) would add -15% to your account from the 0.15% fx fees. So hence why I prefer a fixed non percentage fee on IB. As your fees reduce the bigger the size, compared to increasing on platforms with percentage based fees.

However, neither of these offer ISA options. So are taxable. But I decided that that would be preferable, as paying taxes means that you are making a profit.

Nice reply, thanks Isatrader. Indeed the % based fees is what is stinging me on H&L.

The lack of ISA is a bit of a downer, as it means I would have to do some book work for the taxman in my self assessment forms, but I guess if it needs to come to this then that is what it is.

Did you ever try Saxo?

Tryst

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Lebo44 - 2021-07-05

Could someone explain to me very high SCTR rank (93) of Footwear industry?

Few weeks ago it was one of the laggards, bottom of the list (SCTR rank of 3-14). Suddenly it jumped to top of the list in a matter of 1-2 weeks. I checked component stocks (charts and returns) but I can't see any reason for that.

EDIT: Ok, I looked at the wrong period. The reason is that top leaders like NIKE, DECKERS and CROX jumped by 20%. Still the impact on the SCTR rank seems huge.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - pcabc - 2021-07-05

(2021-07-05, 07:37 AM)Lebo44 Wrote: Could someone explain to me very high SCTR rank (93) of Footwear industry?

Few weeks ago it was one of the laggards, bottom of the list (SCTR rank of 3-14). Suddenly it jumped to top of the list in a matter of 1-2 weeks. I checked component stocks (charts and returns) but I can't see any reason for that.

EDIT: Ok, I looked at the wrong period. The reason is that top leaders like NIKE, DECKERS and CROX jumped by 20%. Still the impact on the SCTR rank seems huge.

How many companies make up that industry, and if market cpa ranked what are their relative sizes?  It could be that the three you mention about make up 90% of the market cap which would probally explain the situation.