Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions (/Thread-Stage-Analysis-Beginners-Questions)

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2020-11-24

(2020-11-22, 08:18 PM)miche Wrote: Or from the weekend scans I\'m adding alerts at the levels (w price padding )Etsy - 141SPWR - 21.70NOVA - 35 I'll put half the position on the open only if we got breakout above resistance on 2-3x volume. It's best to trade on the 2hour time frame to see breakout w strong volume coming in. When would you add the other half of the position? At the close? Thanks

A little known technique that I use to look at intraday volume is on the IBD chart. As it has a feature that shows the percentage that the volume is compared to the 50 day average volume at that time of day. So for example if its 100% vs 50-day MA or more in the first 30 mins then that gets my attention if its near the breakout level. It doesn't mean its going to stay that way all day though, and may tail off, but just means that compared to the first 30 mins of every day from the last 50 days that's it's more than 2x the average. So I always check this to see if the volume is strong at the potential entry, and like to see 200%+ for the time of day. But will still go with 50% or more if the setup is correct.

Here's the link: https://research.investors.com/stock-charts/nyse-sunnova-energy-intl-inc-nova.htm?cht=pvc&type=daily

With regards to breakouts on low volume. This happens all the time, but is less likely to lead to a very strong move higher.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Tryst - 2020-11-29

(2020-11-24, 06:34 PM)isatrader Wrote:
(2020-11-22, 08:18 PM)miche Wrote: Or from the weekend scans I\'m adding alerts at the levels (w price padding )Etsy - 141SPWR - 21.70NOVA - 35 I'll put half the position on the open only if we got breakout above resistance on 2-3x volume. It's best to trade on the 2hour time frame to see breakout w strong volume coming in. When would you add the other half of the position? At the close? Thanks

A little known technique that I use to look at intraday volume is on the IBD chart. As it has a feature that shows the percentage that the volume is compared to the 50 day average volume at that time of day. So for example if its 100% vs 50-day MA or more in the first 30 mins then that gets my attention if its near the breakout level. It doesn't mean its going to stay that way all day though, and may tail off, but just means that compared to the first 30 mins of every day from the last 50 days that's it's more than 2x the average. So I always check this to see if the volume is strong at the potential entry, and like to see 200%+ for the time of day. But will still go with 50% or more if the setup is correct.

Here's the link: https://research.investors.com/stock-charts/nyse-sunnova-energy-intl-inc-nova.htm?cht=pvc&type=daily

With regards to breakouts on low volume. This happens all the time, but is less likely to lead to a very strong move higher.

Really useful link that, IsaTrader. Been thinking about this a bit recently when alerts have been triggered right at the open and Im trying to gauge whether there is strong buying there..

With the link where you have highlighted the part that shows against the 50-day MA - what time frame is that? If the time (UK based) is 5 minutes after the US open (14:35) will that value against 50-day MA be for that first 5 minutes? Is it an instant value or is there a delay (most free charts have a 20-30 delay).

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Tryst - 2020-11-29

Hi IsaTrader,

who do you use to trade US stocks with you being based in the UK?

I recently moved to H&L and im finding them costing quite a bit when trading US stocks. My cost per trade is down to around £6, which is bearable. It is the FX charges which will hit be long term. Its a 1% charge, so if I trade say $10k that is £100 cost per trade, and then there is another hit on the sell side (so 2% overall). I've already been charged several thousand on FX charges since I moved to H&L early in the year.

Im looking at Trading 212 which has no trading costs and no FX charges - Im assuming it has the same coverage of US stocks that H&L has.

Thanks

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2020-11-29

(2020-11-29, 11:57 AM)Tryst Wrote: Really useful link that, IsaTrader. Been thinking about this a bit recently when alerts have been triggered right at the open and Im trying to gauge whether there is strong buying there..

With the link where you have highlighted the part that shows against the 50-day MA - what time frame is that? If the time (UK based) is 5 minutes after the US open (14:35) will that value against 50-day MA be for that first 5 minutes? Is it an instant value or is there a delay (most free charts have a 20-30 delay).

There's no real delay on it. It is a live ish result. But only updated every 30 seconds or so I think. But is good enough.

The time frame is daily and yes the time shown was UK based. So 14.35, was 5 minutes after the US open.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2020-11-29

(2020-11-29, 12:03 PM)Tryst Wrote: Hi IsaTrader,

I recently moved to H&L and im finding them costing quite a bit when trading US stocks. My cost per trade is down to around £6, which is bearable. It is the FX charges which will hit be long term. Its a 1% charge, so if I trade say $10k that is £100 cost per trade, and then there is another hit on the sell side (so 2% overall). I've already been charged several thousand on FX charges since I moved to H&L early in the year.

Im looking at Trading 212 which has no trading costs and no FX charges - Im assuming it has the same coverage of US stocks that H&L has.

Thanks

I'm using the Trading212 ISA. Its free to trade US stocks, no commission. Only a 1p transaction fee on stop losses if they are hit. Otherwise completely free to trade US stocks. They have a very broad range of US stocks. Nasdaq stocks are always available however new, so I've been able to trade most of the new IPOs stocks immediately .i.e. my current open trades are FROG, LMND, DDOG & SONO. But there are some NYSE stocks that it doesn't have. But it does have the bulk of US stocks on the Nasdaq & NYSE. No US ETFs though, as only has ETFs that are PRIIPS compliant / UCITS certified (which is an EU regulation I believe).

I think you can do a search on their main website to see if it has what you are looking for here: https://www.trading212.com/en/Trade-Equities

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - pcabc - 2020-11-29

Thanks

Yes, I moved my Isa from HL to II as at the time HL were 1.5% for FX charges (3% for each buy and sell then) and II were 1%.  However, HL then dropped its charges to 1% and II upped theirs (very hidden) to 1.5%.  The fx charges are much more significant than the other charges.

One other thing to look out for is order types.  II is much better there, as you can have buy limit and stop loss orders with II (specific to US stocks and of course UK has the best range of order types).  HL does not.  I'm looking at moving owing to the charges.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Tryst - 2020-11-30

(2020-11-29, 12:14 PM)isatrader Wrote:

Thanks

I'm using the Trading212 ISA. Its free to trade US stocks, no commission. Only a 1p transaction fee on stop losses if they are hit. Otherwise completely free to trade US stocks. They have a very broad range of US stocks. Nasdaq stocks are always available however new, so I've been able to trade most of the new IPOs stocks immediately .i.e. my current open trades are FROG, LMND, DDOG & SONO. But there are some NYSE stocks that it doesn't have. But it does have the bulk of US stocks on the Nasdaq & NYSE. No US ETFs though, as only has ETFs that are PRIIPS compliant / UCITS certified (which is an EU regulation I believe).

I think you can do a search on their main website to see if it has what you are looking for here: https://www.trading212.com/en/Trade-Equities

Interesting, thanks IsaTrader. Trading 2-1-2 does look like the best candidate due to the lack of FX charge. Only issue I see if the migration process. I remember this taking a few weeks when I was migrating from SelfTrade to HL.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Tryst - 2020-11-30

(2020-11-29, 01:02 PM)pcabc Wrote:

Thanks

Yes, I moved my Isa from HL to II as at the time HL were 1.5% for FX charges (3% for each buy and sell then) and II were 1%.  However, HL then dropped its charges to 1% and II upped theirs (very hidden) to 1.5%.  The fx charges are much more significant than the other charges.

One other thing to look out for is order types.  II is much better there, as you can have buy limit and stop loss orders with II (specific to US stocks and of course UK has the best range of order types).  HL does not.  I'm looking at moving owing to the charges.

Yeah, I have noticed that too. With US stocks I have no option for a Stop Loss which isn't good tbh, especially as Im startig to tighten up my trading plan.

I just don't want to be left holding trades for a few weeks or not being able to trade during the time of the migration.