Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions (/Thread-Stage-Analysis-Beginners-Questions)

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2013-11-25

(2013-11-25, 09:28 PM)BoyPlunger Wrote: Maybe you could also critique my weinstein charts, does everything look properly done here:

You don't need the MACD indicator on the Weinstein chart. You only need the volume and relative performance versus the S&P 500 which you've setup ok. But you might want to add a moving average to the volume, as two times the average volume on a breakout is one of the requirements of the method. The book says a four week MA on the volume, but I use a 52 week MA on the volume on my charts, which is much smoother.

The only other thing is the 10 week MA on the price bars, which is also normally included on the Weinstein weekly chart.

RE: Beginners Questions - BoyPlunger - 2013-11-25

Thanks for those other suggestions.

The MACD is not really a MACD it's (I believe) the mansfield version of Relative Strength. Does it look like that to you, ha?

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2013-11-25

(2013-11-25, 10:01 PM)BoyPlunger Wrote: The MACD is not really a MACD it's (I believe) the mansfield version of Relative Strength. Does it look like that to you, ha?

Oh I see. Yes, it looks correct in that case as the zero line crosses should match the relative strength vs S&P 500 crosses over the 52 week MA, which they do.

RE: Beginners Questions - BoyPlunger - 2013-11-26

has anyone looked at the mutual fund switching method explained by Stan in chapter 9?

I can't really see a tangible benefit over trading stocks but I'd assume this method is even easier now with ETF's instead of no load mutual funds?

Another thing, I'm seeing that most of these charts seem to work well on StockCharts.com for you (mainly the broad market indicators etc). May I ask which paid package you are on that allows you to manipulate the charts as you have done to closely copy the weinstein charts?

And how easy did you find it to figure out the customization of each chart, NYSE advance declines 200 MA around zero line for example.

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2013-11-26

(2013-11-26, 03:33 AM)BoyPlunger Wrote: has anyone looked at the mutual fund switching method explained by Stan in chapter 9?

I can't really see a tangible benefit over trading stocks but I'd assume this method is even easier now with ETF's instead of no load mutual funds?

It's not something I've looked at personally, but clearly would have many more options with ETFs these days. Although, the switching method he talked about with funds was free, whereas with ETFs you'd have to pay normal dealing charges. So you'd need to investigate that as you want to minimise your trading fees as much as possible.

(2013-11-26, 03:33 AM)BoyPlunger Wrote: Another thing, I'm seeing that most of these charts seem to work well on StockCharts.com for you (mainly the broad market indicators etc). May I ask which paid package you are on that allows you to manipulate the charts as you have done to closely copy the weinstein charts?

And how easy did you find it to figure out the customization of each chart, NYSE advance declines 200 MA around zero line for example.

I use the Extra subscription, which is $24.95 a month at the time of writing this. Which lets me do everything I need to.

Customisation is very simple and won't take you long to learn as the site has a lot of resources explaining how to do it, and the support staff have always been good whenever I've asked a question.

RE: Beginners Questions - theory6453 - 2013-11-26

(2013-11-26, 03:33 AM)BoyPlunger Wrote: has anyone looked at the mutual fund switching method explained by Stan in chapter 9?

I have been using the mutual fund switching method on my 401k account since August and so far I think it works great. I have my funds in an index fund that is tracking the Russell Small Cap 2000 (up 35% this year). My current stop is at 1000 and if it hits that I will move to money market account (or possibly S&P index fund if that is still rising).

The only reason I can think to use mutual fund switching in your taxable account over individual stocks would be if you'd rather have exposure to an entire sector... otherwise stocks are better IMO.

RE: Beginners Questions - BoyPlunger - 2013-11-26

Thanks for the answers.

I just finished the weinstein book and started another:

http://www.amazon.com/Strategic-Stock-Trading-Wallstreetwindow-Strategies-ebook/dp/B007ZHVBLS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385489681&sr=8-1&keywords=mike+swanson

This book is very short and an easy read, but its basically a guy who has melded weinsteins method with a little fundamental analysis too. Point is, it is helping fill in a few questions that weinstein left unanswered.

RE: Beginners Questions - JimStudent - 2013-11-27

(2013-11-25, 10:50 AM)isatrader Wrote: [quote='BoyPlunger' pid='2267' dateline='1385356549']

Attached is a marked up version of the latest Advance Decline Line charts that I posted at the weekend in the Market Breadth thread for you to compare with, which has the three main Advance Decline Indicators.
  • Cumulative Advance Decline Line
  • Momentum Index
  • 10 Day Advance - Decline Line Oscillator - which is used for shorter term signals
[Image: attachment.php?aid=5186]

BoyPlunger, thanks for the questions. And Isatrader, thanks for the answers. I admit as a newbie sometimes I look at the charts that are posted and have no idea what they are supposed to say to me. The questions and answers are helping me.