Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions (/Thread-Stage-Analysis-Beginners-Questions)

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - the_manassa_mauler - 2020-08-05

New to this thread. Need clarity on Weinstein MA..... I just deep dived his book and was impressed by his system. However, I need help in re to clearing up his MA methods. Heres my questions, I would appreciate any insight on this:

1. He uses a 30 week WMA in the book. I use bigcharts.com. They don't have a WMA option, only EMA & SMA. Also they require you to put in days, not weeks. Therefore, should I be using 150 days and go with EMA or SMA? .... I googled and found conflicting info on this. Some say you should use 200 EMA b/c that would be closest to a 30 week WMA. This site is the best I've come across, so I'm assuming members in here can clear this up.

2. wouldn't EMA be a more accurate method projecting forward on buys w/ stocks as opposed to SMA?

3. is WMA still used by many or is it a dated method back to the publishing period of the book? is it any better then EMA or SMA? 

4. on bigcharts.com, if I want to look at a weekly chart instead of a daily, then do I need to go back and use the 30 week number on the EMA chart as opposed to 150 or 200 day since its a weekly chart?

5. finally, are there better free charting services then bigcharts.com that anyone would recommend?

thanks for any help

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Haugaard - 2020-08-05

(2020-08-05, 08:34 PM)the_manassa_mauler Wrote: New to this thread. Need clarity on Weinstein MA..... I just deep dived his book and was impressed by his system. However, I need help in re to clearing up his MA methods. Heres my questions, I would appreciate any insight on this:

1. He uses a 30 week WMA in the book. I use bigcharts.com. They don't have a WMA option, only EMA & SMA. Also they require you to put in days, not weeks. Therefore, should I be using 150 days and go with EMA or SMA? .... I googled and found conflicting info on this. Some say you should use 200 EMA b/c that would be closest to a 30 week WMA. This site is the best I've come across, so I'm assuming members in here can clear this up.

2. wouldn't EMA be a more accurate method projecting forward on buys w/ stocks as opposed to SMA?

3. is WMA still used by many or is it a dated method back to the publishing period of the book? is it any better then EMA or SMA? 

4. on bigcharts.com, if I want to look at a weekly chart instead of a daily, then do I need to go back and use the 30 week number on the EMA chart as opposed to 150 or 200 day since its a weekly chart?

5. finally, are there better free charting services then bigcharts.com that anyone would recommend?

thanks for any help

First and foremost, welcome to the site.

1. Just use SMA with 150 as 30w. 

2. SA preaches 30w SMA, and therefore we follow suit.

3. There is no difference between WMA and SMA other than the fact that WMA is calculated in weeks and SMA in bars. As before, just use 150 for 30W. For this method and others that are alike the use of SMA is preferred.

4. If you look at a weekly chart u just insert 30 into SMA. As the SMA is then calculated on the previous 30 bars. So when the chart style is in weeks, use 30, when in days, use 150.

5. I've been using tradingview for the beginning of my trading career. Just now i've switched to StockCharts.com. But tradingview.com is more than enough for most.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

All the best,
Marcus Hauugard

RE: Beginners Questions - daddybyday - 2020-08-06

Hello,

I think I have a fair handle on identifying the stages, and am decent with breakouts.  My question is, how do you all go about creating the watch list of stocks at which charts you look?  I have some sector ETF's that I'm going to be including, but I'm not sure the best way to pick the stocks?  Once you identify winning sectors/industries, how do you narrow it down from there?

Thanks!

Tom

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Tryst - 2020-08-06

Hi all,

a general question. Does anyone have any suggestions on what apps to use to track portfolio performance. So things like weekly and monthly performance amongst things. I use H&L to trade but it doesn't really have the portfolio analysis tooling that I need. I also looked at the WeBull (app) but again it doesn't give me that weekly and monthly portfolio performance metrics.

Thanks in advance

Tryst

RE: Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2020-08-06

(2020-08-06, 11:18 PM)daddybyday Wrote: Hello,

I think I have a fair handle on identifying the stages, and am decent with breakouts.  My question is, how do you all go about creating the watch list of stocks at which charts you look?  I have some sector ETF's that I'm going to be including, but I'm not sure the best way to pick the stocks?  Once you identify winning sectors/industries, how do you narrow it down from there?

Thanks!

Tom

I actually do it the other way round. I focus on scanning for individual stocks first, as the strongest sectors / industries are easy to spot from the amount of stocks setting up or breaking out in those sectors. But to catch the leader in the sector, you have to get into that stock before the rest of the sector becomes more obvious that a move is happening.

So I find the best looking individual stocks, and then when one stands out I do the due diligence on the rest of the stocks in the sector. As if one is breaking out into Stage 2 on heavy volume and all the other good stuff that we look for, and then the other stocks in the sector are only a little bit behind in late Stage 1, and starting to setup themselves. Then the odds are good that there will be a move in the sector. So I'll try to buy into the leading stock.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2020-08-06

(2020-08-06, 11:24 PM)Tryst Wrote: Hi all,

a general question. Does anyone have any suggestions on what apps to use to track portfolio performance. So things like weekly and monthly performance amongst things. I use H&L to trade but it doesn't really have the portfolio analysis tooling that I need. I also looked at the WeBull (app) but again it doesn't give me that weekly and monthly portfolio performance metrics.

Thanks in advance

Tryst

I use ADVFN for mine, as it charts your portfolio daily. So I find that very useful. But doesn't have weekly and monthly performance that you are looking for.

The other option is google sheets. As it automatically updates the prices in your portfolio etc, and you can see volume and various other metrics. I find it invaluable.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Tryst - 2020-08-09

(2020-08-06, 11:39 PM)isatrader Wrote:
(2020-08-06, 11:24 PM)Tryst Wrote: Hi all,

Thanks in advance

Tryst

I use ADVFN for mine, as it charts your portfolio daily. So I find that very useful. But doesn't have weekly and monthly performance that you are looking for.

The other option is google sheets. As it automatically updates the prices in your portfolio etc, and you can see volume and various other metrics. I find it invaluable.

Thanks IsaTrader. That is very useful, the Google Finance interface withing GoogleSheets. Id imagine some neat things can be conjured up with that. Though I've always found their prices (end of day) to be slightly off for some reason.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - ikhlef1995 - 2020-08-10

Hello everyone,

First and foremost, thanks to whoever created and maintained this site. Very helpful and insightful.

I just came across this stock and I think it's potential winner:

1- Price just went above SMA
2- Impressive volume
3- RS just moved into positive territory

I know there's a lot of overhead resistance but the Stage 1 is extended over 8-9 months which leads me to believe that the resistance is not as significant. I'm wondering what other more experienced people think about it on a scale of 1 to 10.

Thanks Smile