Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions (/Thread-Stage-Analysis-Beginners-Questions)

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - malaguti - 2020-04-05

(2020-04-05, 08:54 AM)stanhao Wrote: Hello everyone, please check my screenshots in this book. When making commodities and stock index futures, a short-term moving average is needed, but why does spot gold use a weekly chart and a 30-week moving average? (S & P futures also use weekly charts) Is this an error in the printing of this book, or is Mr. Stan's description incorrect? Can someone help me explain?

what page does this relate to..its possible there is more context which your pages aren't showing
I can certainlt attest to the fact that shorter term moving averages are sometimes required. I'd even go as far as to say shorter time frames are also required.
take a look at this chart. the stop loss is miles away, because of the lack of price movement
its not a one size fits all ruling

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - stanhao - 2020-04-06

(2020-04-05, 01:01 PM)malaguti Wrote:
(2020-04-05, 08:54 AM)stanhao Wrote: Hello everyone, please check my screenshots in this book. When making commodities and stock index futures, a short-term moving average is needed, but why does spot gold use a weekly chart and a 30-week moving average? (S & P futures also use weekly charts) Is this an error in the printing of this book, or is Mr. Stan's description incorrect? Can someone help me explain?

what page does this relate to..its possible there is more context which your pages aren't showing
I can certainlt attest to the fact that shorter term moving averages are sometimes required. I'd even go as far as to say shorter time frames are also required.
take a look at this chart. the stop loss is miles away, because of the lack of price movement

That was an excerpt from Stan's original book. Whether he expressed the book incorrectly or printed it incorrectly, it made people unable to fully understand his meaning. I want to discuss this issue. If so, it means that he violated discipline. How should we correct this?

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - malaguti - 2020-04-06

(2020-04-06, 04:02 PM)stanhao Wrote:
(2020-04-05, 01:01 PM)malaguti Wrote:

That was an excerpt from Stan's original book. Whether he expressed the book incorrectly or printed it incorrectly, it made people unable to fully understand his meaning. I want to discuss this issue. If so, it means that he violated discipline. How should we correct this?

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - malaguti - 2020-04-09

(2020-04-09, 04:12 AM)stanhao Wrote: I have read Stan ’s book three times, but I have n’t remembered it. Is there something wrong with my memory? Is this related to health and nutrition? If you can exercise good memory, can someone provide this knowledge? Thank you!

what knowledge are you trying to remember?

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2020-04-09

This seems to have turned into an argument, when I think it’s just a language problem. Stanhao it was not a mistake in the book. Weinstein just suggests using a much faster moving average on futures as he says that they tend to go through the stages much quicker than stocks.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Haugaard - 2020-04-09

Hi, i've been reading and rereading Stan Weinstein's Secrets for Profiting in Bull and Bear Markets a couple of times. I've been looking for some additional information recently, and i've stumbled across Mark Minervinis books. Just to clarify, i'm not looking to differ to another trading strategy, but just enhance my trading performance, by adding additional tools. 

Do any of you have any experience with his books, and if so, would you say it compliments the do's and dont's of Stage Analysis?

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2020-04-09

(2020-04-09, 08:08 PM)Haugaard Wrote: Hi, i've been reading and rereading Stan Weinstein's Secrets for Profiting in Bull and Bear Markets a couple of times. I've been looking for some additional information recently, and i've stumbled across Mark Minervinis books. Just to clarify, i'm not looking to differ to another trading strategy, but just enhance my trading performance, by adding additional tools. 

Do any of you have any experience with his books, and if so, would you say it compliments the do's and dont's of Stage Analysis?

Hi Haugaard,

I've have read both of his first two books multiple times and would very much say that it compliments Stan Weinstein book, as Mark Minervini uses Stage Analysis in his trading and talks about it in both books.

However, the difference is that Minervini is focused on much shorter time frames, and typically only trades in and out of stocks over a few months, and also include fundamentals, which are not used in Stage Analysis. Whereas as Weinstein is very heavily weighted towards the longer term investor method and is purely technical.

So I found that the books helped to expand on the trader method, and even introduced some new concepts such as the Volatility Contraction Pattern (VCP) – which I now find essential for all of my shorter term trades.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Haugaard - 2020-04-10

(2020-04-09, 08:18 PM)isatrader Wrote:
(2020-04-09, 08:08 PM)Haugaard Wrote: Hi, i've been reading and rereading Stan Weinstein's Secrets for Profiting in Bull and Bear Markets a couple of times. I've been looking for some additional information recently, and i've stumbled across Mark Minervinis books. Just to clarify, i'm not looking to differ to another trading strategy, but just enhance my trading performance, by adding additional tools. 

Hi Haugaard,

I've have read both of his first two books multiple times and would very much say that it compliments Stan Weinstein book, as Mark Minervini uses Stage Analysis in his trading and talks about it in both books.

However, the difference is that Minervini is focused on much shorter time frames, and typically only trades in and out of stocks over a few months, and also include fundamentals, which are not used in Stage Analysis. Whereas as Weinstein is very heavily weighted towards the longer term investor method and is purely technical.

So I found that the books helped to expand on the trader method, and even introduced some new concepts such as the Volatility Contraction Pattern (VCP) – which I now find essential for all of my shorter term trades.

Hi, 

Thanks a lot for the answer! I'll order his books soon. 

I wish you a happy easter!