Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions (/Thread-Stage-Analysis-Beginners-Questions)

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - hummigbird - 2020-01-18

To the administrator--I'd like to be able to "like" your videos and get you some traction, but I don't see any "like" button on them.  I also don't see any way to comment on them.  What am I missing?  Thanks for all your work.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2020-01-18

(2020-01-18, 05:38 AM)hummigbird Wrote: To the administrator--I'd like to be able to "like" your videos and get you some traction, but I don't see any "like" button on them.  I also don't see any way to comment on them.  What am I missing?  Thanks for all your work.

Hi hummigbird, that would be really helpful. Thank you.

If you are viewing the videos directly on the Stage Analysis site then you won't see the like button or the comments below the video, as it's an embedded video from youtube.

So to see those and be able to like the videos and see any comments you need view the videos directly on the youtube channel. Which you can get to the main channel page here: Stage Analysis YouTube Channel

Or if you are viewing the video on the Stage Analysis site, then a quick way is to hover over the video and click on the Video Title (see attached screenshot). As thats a direct link to the videos page on youtube.

Let me know if you need anymore help.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - hummigbird - 2020-01-19

I'd be curious to know how people are putting stops on their stocks now, with the market going so crazy. There are pretty wide gaps between stock price and 30 week MA. If I use that as the price point, the loss would be pretty significant. I'd rather take profits sooner. What are others doing?

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2020-01-19

(2020-01-19, 09:58 PM)hummigbird Wrote: I'd be curious to know how people are putting stops on their stocks now, with the market going so crazy.   There are pretty wide gaps between stock price and 30 week MA.  If I use that as the price point, the loss would be pretty significant.  I'd rather take profits sooner.  What are others doing?

Focus on the quality of setups always, and that the entry point meets the methods four main requirements at least. I tend to focus on stocks making volatility contraction patterns before the breakout, where price has consolidated over a reasonable period, and then they always have to be within 2x the 52 week Average True Range from the 50 day moving average and the most recent swing low in order to be buyable. So don't chase stocks that are too far from support, as risk management should always be the first consideration.

Novices worry about what you can make on a trade. Professionals worry about what they could lose on the trade. So always take a risk first approach, and you'll do much better in your account.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - alphatech - 2020-01-19

I had similar question as hummigbird, I think what we are trying to say is that when the stock is on stage 2 advance, the line between SMA and the stock is large so it is hard to determine where to put the stop at. In addition to it, sometime there is just a small correction so hard to figure it out.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2020-01-20

(2020-01-19, 11:51 PM)alphatech Wrote: I had similar question as hummigbird, I think what we are trying to say is that when the stock is on stage 2 advance, the line between SMA and the stock is large so it is hard to determine where to put the stop at. In addition to it, sometime there is just a small correction so hard to figure it out.

The answer varies based on whether you are using the trader method or the investor method. But I'll come back to you on this, as I need to go to sleep.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - hummigbird - 2020-01-20

No problem, I'm in California so the time difference is pretty big.

That may be part of the problem, is that I'm having a hard time committing to one or the other. Although with everything so sky high, and the fact that it's an election year, I'm probably more comfortable at this time going in trading mode and getting out sooner rather than later.

Also, because I'm pretty new to this system, a lot of the stocks I'm in weren't necessarily purchased with the method in mind.  So I'm also just generally trying to figure out a good rule of thumb for hanging on v. getting out for those that are working for me.  Stocks like AMD, NVDA, QCOM.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - alphatech - 2020-01-20

One perfect example is TSLA.  Based on my knowledge the stop should be set around 327.  It is right now at 510.   that is about $183 difference.  I saw this stock going down or up in a crazy way and to be honest, it will kill me if it would stop at 327 cancelling all my profits.  It is on Stage 2 with no stage issues based to Stan.  I'm also more on the trader side.  NVDIA and AMD look like this graph as well.

By the way, I subscribe to your youtube videos fantastic job.  Is the application that you are using calculate Mansfield or is something that you created?