Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions (/Thread-Stage-Analysis-Beginners-Questions)

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - malaguti - 2019-12-15

(2019-12-13, 05:40 PM)alphatech Wrote: I'm wondering what is part of your daily/weekly/ monthly routine when you check your stocks or the market.  What do you normally do? sorry if is too much of a generic question, I can elaborate more if needed.

I'm aware of the overall market every day
I dont look for new stocks daily. I run a scan for breakouts weekly and will likely drop down to monthly shortly for all weekly breakouts during the month
For existing positions I am looking simply to move the stop using the investor method. 
For existing I'm also looking at the sector state in case I need to move stops tighter
Unless I've got no new positions I might look at adding to an existing position
Lastly and daily I generally go through stocks looking for trend lines in case any scans dont pick these up. The scan is good but not as good as eye balling
I'd only do this for a core selection as I cant look at all of them of course. I dont have a way (yet) of truly accurately recording the state

In the future I will be looking at incorporating point and figure targets to determine possible profit targets. Not doing this yet. The profit target will also be a criteria for choosing one stock over another

Hope this helps. I'm sure we all have different routines. In fairness it's hard to completely ignore the market each day. Especially when in a position. That's when we are all at our most vulnerable, each retrace is inspected analysed and often incorrectly judged as to its merit 
Tell us yours by the way

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - stanhao - 2019-12-17

I would like to ask that the book's diagrams are unclear, why the publisher did not reorganize and update the book's diagrams, and these pictures are difficult to understand. Are there experts in the forum to organize the charts?

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - malaguti - 2019-12-17

(2019-12-17, 02:31 AM)stanhao Wrote: I would like to ask that the book's diagrams are unclear, why the publisher did not reorganize and update the book's diagrams, and these pictures are difficult to understand. Are there experts in the forum to organize the charts?

Do you think the date the book was published might have something to do with it? 
that trading software only started in the 70's and much less for personal use may have been a factor? 
that desktop publishing software let alone trading software was only first introduced a little before the book itself was published?
do you think that might explain why the diagrams might be unclear?

The question i have to you are:
why not be specific, which diagram is so unclear that the concept he tries to explain you are failing to grasp

im happy to answer specific questions you have, we all are. however this forum is by far the greatest resource on this subject, whereby the owner of the site has spent countless hours, days, weeks and months putting new examples of the stages and the concepts together
whereby every days he posts new charts explaining each phase, whereby he even puts his balls on the line and tells you even what and why he's buying something

no offence Stanhao, but are you really expecting someone here to organise Stan's diagrams better just for you?

by the way have you completed those tasks i set for you yet? I'm responding to your questions, however im not seeing much from yourself other than criticizing a book we really can't do much about now. 
all we can do is perhaps look past these and ask the right questions, as only they will get you to the answers that you are looking for. if it is indeed answers you are looking for

now, which diagram are you struggling with?

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - alphatech - 2019-12-17

(2019-12-15, 03:12 PM)malaguti Wrote:
(2019-12-13, 05:40 PM)alphatech Wrote: I'm wondering what is part of your daily/weekly/ monthly routine when you check your stocks or the market.  What do you normally do? sorry if is too much of a generic question, I can elaborate more if needed.

I dont look for new stocks daily. I run a scan for breakouts weekly and will likely drop down to monthly shortly for all weekly breakouts during the month
For existing positions I am looking simply to move the stop using the investor method. 
For existing I'm also looking at the sector state in case I need to move stops tighter
Lastly and daily I generally go through stocks looking for trend lines in case any scans dont pick these up. The scan is good but not as good as eye balling
I'd only do this for a core selection as I cant look at all of them of course. I dont have a way (yet) of truly accurately recording the state

In the future I will be looking at incorporating point and figure targets to determine possible profit targets. Not doing this yet. The profit target will also be a criteria for choosing one stock over another

Hope this helps. I'm sure we all have different routines. In fairness it's hard to completely ignore the market each day. Especially when in a position. That's when we are all at our most vulnerable, each retrace is inspected analysed and often incorrectly judged as to its merit 
Tell us yours by the way

I have so much to learn from all of you, it is overwhelming.  I'm readying all the posts that I can and I got the logistic of it.  ISA and all of you have been great to help me with some struggles that I have.  The book helps but real examples and practice is very important.  I need to confess, still having difficulties with stages but so far ISA has been very patient with me with those.  In regards to your last question, still trying to figure out what is the best routine.  I do not have any scans setup yet.  Stops are the most difficult one to setup.  I guess I got burned several times with those, I'm a little resistant on setting them automatically.  My reasoning are that when the market is close the most action starts and those stocks can drop very fast and in the morning I can lose more than I wanted.    
Please feel free to comment on it, any help is appreciated.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - malaguti - 2019-12-17

(2019-12-17, 04:41 PM)alphatech Wrote:
(2019-12-15, 03:12 PM)malaguti Wrote:

Tell us yours by the way

I have so much to learn from all of you, it is overwhelming.  I'm readying all the posts that I can and I got the logistic of it.  ISA and all of you have been great to help me with some struggles that I have.  The book helps but real examples and practice is very important.  I need to confess, still having difficulties with stages but so far ISA has been very patient with me with those.  In regards to your last question, still trying to figure out what is the best routine.  I do not have any scans setup yet.  Stops are the most difficult one to setup.  I guess I got burned several times with those, I'm a little resistant on setting them automatically.  My reasoning are that when the market is close the most action starts and those stocks can drop very fast and in the morning I can lose more than I wanted.    
Please feel free to comment on it, any help is appreciated.

I dont have anything setup with stops either. i find these straight forward to do manually to be honest. and at most you'll only be in between 10 and 15 at the same time. 
stages are quite difficult, its not often you will get a perfect stage 2 entry, nothing wrong with getting stage 2 to let itself reveal itself and then getting in

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - hummigbird - 2019-12-24

Hi all, I'm new to the forum, thanks so much for creating and maintaining this!  I'm still a relative newby to doing my own thing in the market (about 7 years), but after going through different strategies (winging it, dividend investing, Peter Lynch, etc.) I was pretty psyched to read Weinstein.  So much of what he talks about is what I was starting to feel intuitively, regarding how the market has already priced in so much in a stock, and for us regular investors, the P/E, PEG, good news, bad news, earnings reports, blah blah blah is of limited use.  Peter Lynch was flying to  different countries talking to CEOs to make his decisions.  Obviously we aren't.

I know there have been a lot of questions about screens, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to create a screen for a managable number of stocks to consider.  Part of it is that there are so many choices of every variable, and I'm not exactly clear which is the best.

For example, moving average.  He discusses the 30 week moving average.  Is this the simple or weighted moving average?  And, is it the 200 day, or 150 day?   

Also, resistance lines.  These seem so variable.  Do you go with whatever the stock chart is telling you is the resistance line, or go with your own definition?  Particularly with a stock that may already be in stage 2, a new "resistance line" may be higher than the one it broke through.  How do you define these?  Thanks!

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - pcabc - 2019-12-24

(2019-12-24, 05:54 AM)hummigbird Wrote: Hi all, I'm new to the forum, thanks so much for creating and maintaining this!  I'm still a relative newby to doing my own thing in the market (about 7 years), but after going through different strategies (winging it, dividend investing, Peter Lynch, etc.) I was pretty psyched to read Weinstein.  So much of what he talks about is what I was starting to feel intuitively, regarding how the market has already priced in so much in a stock, and for us regular investors, the P/E, PEG, good news, bad news, earnings reports, blah blah blah is of limited use.  Peter Lynch was flying to  different countries talking to CEOs to make his decisions.  Obviously we aren't.

I know there have been a lot of questions about screens, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to create a screen for a managable number of stocks to consider.  Part of it is that there are so many choices of every variable, and I'm not exactly clear which is the best.

For example, moving average.  He discusses the 30 week moving average.  Is this the simple or weighted moving average?  And, is it the 200 day, or 150 day?   

Also, resistance lines.  These seem so variable.  Do you go with whatever the stock chart is telling you is the resistance line, or go with your own definition?  Particularly with a stock that may already be in stage 2, a new "resistance line" may be higher than the one it broke through.  How do you define these?  Thanks!

The 30 week average is approximately a 150 day simple moving average.  I've found some utility with screeners which detect breakouts or stocks close to channel edges.  Screening on daily volume compared to a longer term average, or a shorter term average compared to a longer term average is also useful.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2019-12-24

(2019-12-24, 05:54 AM)hummigbird Wrote: I know there have been a lot of questions about screens, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to create a screen for a manageable number of stocks to consider.  Part of it is that there are so many choices of every variable, and I'm not exactly clear which is the best.

Welcome to the site hummigbird.

The 30 week moving average is the simple moving average, and this roughly equates to a 150 day simple moving average if you are using it with daily charts.

(2019-12-24, 05:54 AM)hummigbird Wrote: Also, resistance lines.  These seem so variable.  Do you go with whatever the stock chart is telling you is the resistance line, or go with your own definition?  Particularly with a stock that may already be in stage 2, a new "resistance line" may be higher than the one it broke through.  How do you define these?  Thanks!

This depends on the timeframe you are using. i.e. is it a short term trade or a longer term trade. As if its a longer term trade then you need to consider levels of resistance going back over the last few years, whereas if it's a short term trade then breaks of near term highs are where you should focus, while still considering longer term areas as well if there are significant levels in range of the short term trades target. However, this can be fairly easy for short term trades, as you should only be focusing on stocks already in strong Stage 2 advances that are consolidating above their still rising 30 week moving average. And hence, there should only be recent resistance from the developing consolidation range to consider.

I'd recommend taking the time to read through the entire Beginners Questions thread, as these kinds of questions have been asked many times. So you'll find lots of answers to questions that you haven't even thought of yet.

Also, I run my own scans everyday, and from that do a watchlist of stocks for the US, Canadian and UK markets which I post on the blog part of the site now here: https://stageanalysis.net/

These are not setups or indications to buy or sell. But simply stocks showing the right characteristics for the method that might setup in the coming weeks or months. So they are added to the watchlist to keep an eye on.

I hope that helps