Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions (/Thread-Stage-Analysis-Beginners-Questions)

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - stanhao - 2019-12-06

(2019-12-05, 04:38 PM)malaguti Wrote:
(2019-12-05, 08:59 AM)stanhao Wrote: I want to ask Stan Weinstein whether he is dead or retired. I can't find his latest information on the Internet. Would like to ask him about the knowledge of futures trading.

Hi Stanhao, the chart service doesn't exist so its highly unlikely we'll get different colours. i'd seriously recommend getting a charting package, im sure we'd all be willing to help
with regard to whether you'd like to ask Stan if he is dead, would be pretty pointless, wouldn't it? I'll take a stab and say if you were able to ask Stan the question, either he is sitting in front of you, or you've had to exhume his body. in which case if you didn't know that answer already Stan certainly wouldnt be able to help you. neither could this forum.

Hi malaguti , I mainly want to make a copy of stan's chart suitable for viewing on windows10, I know that the netizens on the forum are knowledgeable, so please sort it out if you can, let us beginner stan Is it easier to learn and understand, isn't it a very meaningful thing? If you can, can you sort it out for me?

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - malaguti - 2019-12-06

(2019-12-06, 02:29 AM)stanhao Wrote:
(2019-12-05, 04:38 PM)malaguti Wrote:
(2019-12-05, 08:59 AM)stanhao Wrote: I want to ask Stan Weinstein whether he is dead or retired. I can't find his latest information on the Internet. Would like to ask him about the knowledge of futures trading.

Hi Stanhao, the chart service doesn't exist so its highly unlikely we'll get different colours. i'd seriously recommend getting a charting package, im sure we'd all be willing to help
with regard to whether you'd like to ask Stan if he is dead, would be pretty pointless, wouldn't it? I'll take a stab and say if you were able to ask Stan the question, either he is sitting in front of you, or you've had to exhume his body. in which case if you didn't know that answer already Stan certainly wouldnt be able to help you. neither could this forum.

Hi malaguti , I mainly want to make a copy of stan's chart suitable for viewing on windows10, I know that the netizens on the forum are knowledgeable, so please sort it out if you can, let us beginner stan Is it easier to learn and understand, isn't it a very meaningful thing? If you can, can you sort it out for me?

well we first need you on a charting platform..there are many to choose from
I'm going to suggest ProRealTime (PRT); it can plot weekly charts and one indicator which you will need is the mansfield relative strength, thats a standard indicator on PRT. all others will be able to plot weekly charts, and moving averages. they could all do the mansfield also, but likely with a little bit of effort
you will need to put in some effort yourself though..
you will need to follow the instructions to download the software, and you will likely need to familiarise yourself with the charting package Prorealtime. 
you may need to watch some videos on how to do something. 
however once done you too will be able to reproduce charts the way Stan himself was able to. better in fact.
if you were hoping to recreate his exact charts, this might be more difficult as likely some of the stocks in his service are no longer trading in which case your analysis should be on those that are trading now

lets start small:
1) download prorealtime (free version)
2) learn how to open a chart (there will be lessons on how to do that from prorealtime themselves)
3) then go through the book and apply the indicators that Stan has suggested. 
good luck. 
oh and lastly. I'm not going to make this happen for you. you are.
you're going to make this happen by finding out things for yourself, only then will you learn. I'm sure you will be fine

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - stanhao - 2019-12-13

I would like to ask how much moving average should I use if the chart is changed to a monthly chart? Thank you!

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - malaguti - 2019-12-13

(2019-12-13, 03:30 AM)stanhao Wrote: I would like to ask how much moving average should I use if the chart is changed to a monthly chart? Thank you!

Stan doesn't go into this in his book. you could argue you should be using the same periodicity, ie 10 and 30 (trader vs investor).
However i find the monthly is now even less erratic in terms of price action and a lower average generally suffices. 
The 30 month way too slow and the 10month would keep you out of a lot of trouble. Like i say that's my preference for the monthly

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - alphatech - 2019-12-13

I'm wondering what is part of your daily/weekly/ monthly routine when you check your stocks or the market.  What do you normally do? sorry if is too much of a generic question, I can elaborate more if needed.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - pcabc - 2019-12-13

(2019-12-13, 05:40 PM)alphatech Wrote: I'm wondering what is part of your daily/weekly/ monthly routine when you check your stocks or the market.  What do you normally do? sorry if is too much of a generic question, I can elaborate more if needed.

Unless I am away or busy with something else I run my screener daily.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - stanhao - 2019-12-14

I would like to ask the stan forest-to-tree method. If the broad market index has not yet broken through the pressure zone, but there are individual stocks that have broken through, is it necessary to buy individual stocks first, or to buy individual stocks after the broad market index breaks?

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - malaguti - 2019-12-15

(2019-12-14, 09:09 AM)stanhao Wrote: I would like to ask the stan forest-to-tree method. If the broad market index has not yet broken through the pressure zone, but there are individual stocks that have broken through, is it necessary to buy individual stocks first, or to buy individual stocks after the broad market index breaks?

Hi stanhao. I'm not aware of a "pressure zone". Could you give an example and perhaps give us your interpretation of the stage it's in.
With regard to the forest to the trees, if the broad market is 4 there is no buying. If the market is a 3 or a 1 I personally would be still looking for strong sectors however I would be conscious that the market could still drop and for that reason I'd be looking to use a fraction of the position size, waiting to increase when the market confirms its stage. That way I'm in if it takes off but mitigate the risk should it not
Similarly you could use tighter stops such as the trader method until you get confirmation 
I'd be conscious of where price is in a stage 3 for example. Stage 3 with price below the average I'd be very wary of and my position size would reflect this further. Erring very heavily on the side of caution 
In all backtesting I've done the market state is the primary reason for significant drawdown and losses. So get these right and pay close attention. If in doubt stay out
The market will show itself along with many trades to confirm it's intended direction 
Hope this helps and again show us what your thinking