Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method
Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Printable Version

+- Stage Analysis Forum - Trading & Investing using Stan Weinstein's Stocks Breakout method (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Board (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Main-Board)
+--- Forum: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis - Stock Charts, Technical Analysis, Learn to Trade, Stocks, ETF, NYSE, Nasdaq (https://www.stageanalysis.net/forum/Forum-Stan-Weinstein-s-Stage-Analysis-Stock-Charts-Technical-Analysis-Learn-to-Trade-Stocks-ETF-NYSE-Nasdaq)
+--- Thread: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions (/Thread-Stage-Analysis-Beginners-Questions)

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - stanhao - 2019-12-03

(2019-12-02, 09:55 AM)isatrader Wrote:
(2019-12-02, 07:55 AM)stanhao Wrote: Hello, stan weinstein only has Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3, Stage 4; why are you divided into Stage 1A, Stage 1, Stage 1B, Stage 2A, Stage 2, Stage 2B, Stage 3A, Stage 3, Stage 3B, Stage 4A, Stage 4, Stage 4B? I have never understood such a complicated price segment zoning. Can I have a more detailed chart?

Hi stanhao, the sub stages were added to the method by Stan Weinstein in his Global Trend Alert service after the book was written.

It's not complicated, and Stan said in an interview that there are no hard and fast rules with the A an B stages. They simply just give a way to show when a stock is Early in that Stage or Late in that Stage. So I find that they give additional context to where a stock is in its cycle, as for example a stock in Stage 2A will have only just recently broken out into Stage 2. So you would say that it is early in Stage 2, and hence would get a Stage 2A rating. Whereas a stock that has been in a Stage 2 advance for nearly a year, with multiple significant pullbacks towards the 30 week moving average would be labelled as Stage 2B, as remember from the book, Stan considers long term as 12 months, as so if a stock has been in Stage 2 for most of year, then the probabilities are, that it's getting late in that Stage.

I hope that helps, and below is the full definitions from his Global Trend Alert service.

Definitions of the Stages and Sub-stages

Stage 1A Start of a base. Needs much more time.
Stage 1 Basing Phase. May begin accumulation.
Stage 1B Late in base-building phase. Watch for breakout.

Stage 2A Early in uptrend stage. Ideal time to buy aggressively.
Stage 2 Advancing Stage.
Stage 2B Getting late in uptrend.

Stage 3A Looks as if a top is starting to form. Be sure to protect holdings with a close stop.
Stage 3 The Top Area. Start to reduce positions.
Stage 3B Has become increasingly toppy. Use rallies for at least partial selling.

Stage 4A Stock has entered Downtrend Stage. Close out remaining positions.
Stage 4 The Declining Stage. Avoid on the long side.
Stage 4B Late in downtrend. Much too soon to consider buying.
Stage 4B- Although not yet 'officially' in Stage 1A, stock has now seen its low for the cycle.

Additional ratings
(A) Early in that Stage.
(B) Late in that Stage.
(+) Outstanding pattern in that Stage.
(–) Unexciting pattern in that Stage.

Hello there! Are Mansfield chart services and global trend alerts still running? Can I find his URL on the webpage? Can you write code to pick the stock that Stan Weinstein chose? Is there this code and method? Although I have 5 years of stock market learning experience, I have not mastered Stan Weinstein's method. At the same time, is Stan Weinstein alive? I can't find his information on the Internet. Can you tell me?

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - Nerraw - 2019-12-03

Here is a copy of the Global Trend Alert by Stan Weinstein, if anyone wants to have a look.

https://idoc.pub/documents/global-trend-alert-stan-weinstein-k546yy8voqn8

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - stanhao - 2019-12-04

Does the volume use the 52-week moving average or the 5-week moving average during the breakout week?

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - stanhao - 2019-12-04

Stan's original chart is very unclear. I wonder if Mansfield chart services is still running? Can the stock charts in the book be viewed online?

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - isatrader - 2019-12-04

(2019-12-04, 05:50 AM)stanhao Wrote: Does the volume use the 52-week moving average or the 5-week moving average during the breakout week?

The investor method says that you should have at least 2 times the 4 week average volume on the Stage 2 breakout - A entry point.

I prefer to use the 52 week MA personally, as it is stricter than the the 4 week, as the 2 times rule is only a minimum. So ideally you want to see much more volume than that.

(2019-12-04, 05:56 AM)stanhao Wrote: Stan's original chart is very unclear. I wonder if Mansfield chart services is still running? Can the stock charts in the book be viewed online?

The Mansfield Charting service no longer exists I believe. But you can easily set up your charts in the same way via most good charting programs.

And to see the stocks from the book, you'd need a charting service that provides historical data as well.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - stanhao - 2019-12-05

Hello isatrader! Can Stan's stock chart turn into a colored chart? Because I don't have enough software knowledge, I can't perform this task. If the mapping service has such a form, can it be organized for us to download?  Thank you!

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - stanhao - 2019-12-05

I want to ask Stan Weinstein whether he is dead or retired. I can't find his latest information on the Internet. Would like to ask him about the knowledge of futures trading.

RE: Stage Analysis Beginners Questions - malaguti - 2019-12-05

(2019-12-05, 08:59 AM)stanhao Wrote: I want to ask Stan Weinstein whether he is dead or retired. I can't find his latest information on the Internet. Would like to ask him about the knowledge of futures trading.

Hi Stanhao, the chart service doesn't exist so its highly unlikely we'll get different colours. i'd seriously recommend getting a charting package, im sure we'd all be willing to help
with regard to whether you'd like to ask Stan if he is dead, would be pretty pointless, wouldn't it? I'll take a stab and say if you were able to ask Stan the question, either he is sitting in front of you, or you've had to exhume his body. in which case if you didn't know that answer already Stan certainly wouldnt be able to help you. neither could this forum.